Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by michael young <mh...@valdosta.edu> on 2005/08/05 18:33:08 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL problem

Hi,
  Im trying to make 1 website. I want it to be accessed using SSL. When
I start apache with "apachectl sslstart" I get no messages saying that
it did or did not start properly.  'ps ax' says apache is running. I can
connect using http:// but when i try https:// i get this message "The
connection to www.childalertcenter.com has terminated unexpectedly. Some
data may have been transfered.". I have attached the config files. can
someone look at them and tell me what im doing wrong. Here are the error
logs messages. From start to stop.

 [Fri Aug 05 12:32:32 2005] [notice] Digest: generating secret for
digest authentication ...
[Fri Aug 05 12:32:32 2005] [notice] Digest: done
[Fri Aug 05 12:32:32 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.54
OpenSSL/0.9.7e DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Aug 05 12:32:47 2005] [error] [client 168.18.158.235] File does not
exist: /opt/apache2/htdocs/favicon.ico
[Fri Aug 05 12:32:53 2005] [error] [client 168.18.158.235] Invalid
method in request \x80g\x01\x03
[Fri Aug 05 12:33:44 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Here, I started apache with "apache sslstart". tryed to connect to it
with a browser first to http://www.childalertcenter.com and it worked.
Then I tryed with https://www.childalertcenter.com and It gave the above
error. Then I stopped apache.

thank you for your time,
Mike

Re: [users@httpd] SSL problem

Posted by michael young <mh...@valdosta.edu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 8/5/05, michael young <mh...@valdosta.edu> wrote:
>

>>Sorry. I only gave the whole file for completeness. Should I do a diff
>>and send the results next time?
>>

>No.  You should extract by hand the parts of the config that you think
>are relevant to the problem.

ok will do.

This problem was resolved through a complete wipe and reinstall
so that it is difficult to deturman the cause of the original problem.
thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] SSL problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL problem

Posted by michael young <mh...@valdosta.edu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 8/5/05, michael young <mh...@valdosta.edu> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>  Im trying to make 1 website. I want it to be accessed using SSL. When
>>I start apache with "apachectl sslstart" I get no messages saying that
>>it did or did not start properly.  'ps ax' says apache is running. I can
>>connect using http:// but when i try https:// i get this message "The
>>connection to www.childalertcenter.com has terminated unexpectedly. Some
>>data may have been transfered.". I have attached the config files. can
>>someone look at them and tell me what im doing wrong. Here are the error
>>logs messages. From start to stop.
>>

>>[Fri Aug 05 12:32:53 2005] [error] [client 168.18.158.235] Invalid
>>method in request \x80g\x01\x03
>>

>First, please post only the relevant portions of your config file (ie,
>the changes you made), not the whole thing.  We aren't a config
>debugging service.

Sorry. I only gave the whole file for completeness. Should I do a diff
and send the results next time?

>This error means that you connected to a non-SSL vhost.
>
>It is there because you added another vhost to catch the SSL port, but
>you didn't turn on the SSL engine inside this vhost.  You should
>remove that vhost and put your ssl-related config inside the virtual
>host section of the ssl.conf file.

Ill give ti a try and report the results back  :)
thx

Re: [users@httpd] SSL problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.