Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Scott Pepperdine <sp...@byu.net> on 2003/07/05 09:53:35 UTC

Password rejected - How to research

Just got James running on an NT server and have sent a message to a user
account that the logs say was successfully spooled.

The problem is that when I try to connect from a pop3 client (outlook
express) to retrieve the message I receive a 'password rejected' error.
I've reset the password using remote administration and tried different
account name formats 'user' & 'user@domain.com'  The pop3server.log says
that the connection is being closed, but gives no details on why.

Two questions:

Any suggestions on what I can try?  Is this a known problem or is there a
place I can research this?  Archives?

Which format does James like for the user ID, 'user' or 'user@domain.com'?

Thanks for any help,

Scott

Re: Password rejected - How to research

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I use 'user' when connecting through pop3.
- Marc de Oliveira

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> when I try to connect from a pop3 client (outlook express)
> to retrieve the message I receive a 'password rejected' error.

You can test using telnet, e.g.,

  $ telnet localhost pop3
  Trying 127.0.1.1...
  Connected to localhost.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  +OK <hello name> POP3 server (JAMES POP3 Server 2.2.0a4) ready
  user <user>
  +OK
  pass <password>
  +OK Welcome <user>

> I've reset the password using remote administration and tried different
> account name formats 'user' & 'user@domain.com'

Just plain "user".

> The pop3server.log says that the connection is being closed,
> but gives no details on why.

Turn on DEBUG for the pop3server log.

	--- Noel

RE: problems getting listserv to work

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> OK - thanks - got it working. Thanks for your patience! [more inline]

Welcome.  :-)

> > As I have said, the entire message flow is traced for you so that you
can
> > debug configuration issues.  You just need to read it.

> And understand it :( Sorry - I am new to this stuff (mail and Avalon).

I understand.  But it really is very simple to follow if you relax, and just
read it.  Hey, I've been there, too.  Right now I'm working my way through a
Perl script that I'm planning to convert into ... probably a servlet filter.

> > (a) move the list configuration to the transport processor.

> First, I thought I read documentation somewhere that said to put it in the
> root processor (can't remember where).

If you find out, let us know.  The documentation,
http://james.apache.org/mailing_lists_2_1.html, mentions "at the top of the
transport processor."

> my misunderstanding of the fact(?) that you need to have a
> correct order in the processors.

There is no order.  Processors are standalone, effectively linked by
ToProcessor mailets.  New messages start at the root processor.  Within a
processor, <mailet> tags are evaluated in order.

> I first tried moving the list elements to the transport processor *under*
> the existing match="RecipientIsLocal" and match="HostIsLocal" and it still
> did not work.

Recipient would have taken off the valid local addresses, and HostIsLocal
would have taken the remainder, and sent them to another processor as an
error.

> I put it at the top (first child under <processor name="transport">)
> of the transport processor and everything worked.

Yup.  :-)

> >  (b) figure out why it thinks that your IP address is bonded.

> I have no idea why it thinks that.

It isn't your domain, it is the IP of the mail agent that is talking to
James that matters.  Definitely something to figure out because otherwise
messages will bypass the anti-spam checks.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
OK - thanks - got it working. Thanks for your patience! [more inline]

<snip/>

> That is your root processor.  By the way, you don't need the fully-
> qualified
> package names.

OK

> So what happens?  Again, let's read the log file:
>
>  DEBUG spoolmanager: Processing Mail1057429170468-0 through root
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Servicing mail: Mail1057429170468-0
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Checking Mail1057429170468-0 with
> org.apache.james.transport.matchers.All@bac9b9
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Servicing Mail1057429170468-0 by Postmaster
> aliasing mailet
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Checking Mail1057429170468-0 with
> org.apache.james.transport.matchers.RelayLimit@111b910
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Checking Mail1057429170468-0 with
> org.apache.james.transport.matchers.InSpammerBlacklist@995a79
>  DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Servicing Mail1057429170468-0 by ToProcessor
> Mailet
>  DEBUG spoolmanager: Processed Mail1057429170468-0 through root
>  DEBUG spoolmanager: Result was transport
>
> Just match that up with your config file.  The All/PostmasterAlias is
> internal.  Then you have RelayLimit, followed by InSpammerBlacklist.  We
> see
> that InSpammerBlacklist matches, causing ToProcessor to be invoked,
> sending
> the message to the transport processor.  That bypasses your mailing list
> configuration (which is one reason why it isn't a good idea to put it in
> the
> root processor).  An interesting question is why it thinks that your IP
> address is in the Bonded Senders registry.
>
>  (a) move the list configuration to the transport processor.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

First, I thought I read documentation somewhere that said to put it in the
root processor (can't remember where).

/I will try to summarize what I did wrong/
I am using the default config.xml from the binary distribution.

When I was in the root proc:
  It was mainly my misunderstanding of the fact(?) that you need to have a
correct order in the processors. I did not see anything in the docs that
said you need to have a specific order of things to occur so maybe I am
describing something completely wrong. Conversely, I assumed there was an
order - just, the list should be after all others and before the catchall.

I first tried moving the list elements to the transport processor *under*
the existing match="RecipientIsLocal" and match="HostIsLocal" and it still
did not work.

Next, I put it at the top (first child under <processor name="transport">)
of the transport processor and everything worked. Hooray for Rob :)

Is this correct? I would have thought I wanted all other processing to occur
first then James would get to the list.

>  (b) figure out why it thinks that your IP address is bonded.

After looking up what that means... I have no idea why it thinks that. I
mainly use the domain to test things. It is registered through register.com
- perhaps it is a default service they offer? Do you think this is a James
problem? If so, do have any ideas on how I can determine what the problem
is? Perhaps all ${number}.com domains get this for free :)

Isn't it a good thing (if not a James problem)?

Thanks again,
-Rob

p.s. Coming up next: questions concerning virtual hosts :) (I know, v3)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert,

As I have said, the entire message flow is traced for you so that you can
debug configuration issues.  You just need to read it.

> The log says they instantiated so something else is going wrong.

Yes, the log shows that they are instantiated, as shown by:

 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher RelayLimit=30 instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet Null instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher InSpammerBlacklist=query.bondedsender.org
instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet ToProcessor instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher InSpammerBlacklist=dnsbl.njabl.org
instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet ToProcessor instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher InSpammerBlacklist=relays.ordb.org
instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet ToProcessor instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher CommandForListserv=btest@94107.com
instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AvalonListservManager instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher RecipientIs=btest@94107.com instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AvalonListserv instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher All instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet ToProcessor instantiated.
 INFO  spoolmanager: Processor root instantiated.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

I do see these at the top of the spool log. What I attached was a snippet of
the debug info (tried to keep it as small as possible...) - sorry I was not
clear.

If I see the above 4 INFO lines then the matchers and mailets have
instantiated, right? The log says they instantiated so something else is
going wrong.

I will send the full log to you (Noel) offlist so others don't have to be
bothered.

Thanks again,
-Rob

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

OK, will do.

> At first glance, I don't see anything wrong, assuming that you have real
> names in place of what you posted.

Yes - a real name

> > The list-test directory gets created in my users directory.
>
> Do you see it being populated?

No - nothing but the directory gets created.

> Do you get a response when you send a
> message to list-test-on at whatever your domain is?

No

and then one to the list.

Thanks for your help,
-Rob

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
First off, the key to doing ANY configuration debugging in James is to turn
on on DEBUG for the spool manager.  Then you can see the message flow: which
matchers are matching, which mailets are servicing, etc.

At first glance, I don't see anything wrong, assuming that you have real
names in place of what you posted.

> The list-test directory gets created in my users directory.

Do you see it being populated?  Do you get a response when you send a

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

I have a test RH7.3 server setup with a real domain. I have James sending
and receiving emails to single users in the system; and users outside the
system can send and receive mail to/from the James' users.

But, I can't seem to make the (file based) listserv work. I have tried a
bunch of different variations on configuring it.

Can someone tell me where I am going wrong? I have tried different list
names like 'test' or 'btest'. Here are the relevant parts of the config for
the listserv.

First, the root processor (also tried it in the transport processor):

<processor name="root">
  <mailet
    match="CommandForListserv=list-test@mydomain.com"
    class="org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AvalonListservManager">
   <repositoryName>list-test</repositoryName>
  </mailet>

  <mailet
    match="RecipientIs=list-test@mydomain.com"
    class="org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AvalonListserv">
   <repositoryName>list-test</repositoryName>
   <membersonly>true</membersonly>
   <attachmentsallowed>false</attachmentsallowed>
   <replytolist>true</replytolist>
  </mailet>
</processor>

Next, the users-store:

<users-store>
  <repository
    name="list-test"
    class="org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersFileRepository">
    <destination URL="file://var/users/list-test/"/>
  </repository>
</users-store>

James starts when configured as above. The list-test directory gets created
in my users directory.

When I try to use simply the name or 'list-test' (without @mydomain.com) in
the 'match=' James does not start (when running 'phoenix.sh start' it says
it does and gives me the PID (which does not exist when looking at ps aux
output) and I can stop it).

So using the above config, I send an email either from a non-James user
and/or from a James user to list-test-on@mydomain.com. Then I send a message
to the list-test@mydomain.com from either user, and nothing happens.
Note: these two users can send/receive to/from each other through James' non
listserv addresses.

I am not seeing anything that suggests errors (What log(s) should I be
looking at?) in the logs so I assume it is being dumped as spam? How can I
see what goes into spam? How can I get the list to work?

Are there any hidden doc efforts or other documentation (for James in
general)? I have seen the site, Wiki, the two articles on IBM, the FAQ and
somebody's beginner tutorial. I have also waded through the archives.

Thanks for any help,
-Rob

RE: Password rejected - How to research

Posted by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com>.
Scott,

Add the user to James using the telnet interface. You will have to specify a
case-sensitive password.

In your pop3 client specify the user (no domain) and password exactly as you
typed it in the step above and be sure to specify the IP address or server
name for your James server.

That's all there is to it.

Check out the quickstart docs. on the James Wiki -
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesQuickstart - for more
tips.

-- Steve