Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by sam liu <li...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/24 08:39:56 UTC

Doubts in '--update-mode allowinsert' argument

In Sqoop User Guide (v1.4.1-incubating), it says 'you may also specify the
--update-mode argument with allowinsert mode if you want to update rows if
they exist in the database already or insert rows if they do not exist yet'.

However, I have some questions:
1: How to determine if a row is existing or not? By a specific column or
key?
  (Actually I failed to execute a command with --update-mode argument and
--update-key argument together)

2: If I did not specific a column to identify the row, I do not think the
following result I got is as expected, because I want to update the first
row, but sqoop insert a similar row into my table. Any idea?