Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Darren Munt <da...@ardex.com.au> on 2008/08/19 01:31:08 UTC

Thai Hyphenation Pattern

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a Thai hyphenation pattern available,
either for the very old version of FOP v0.20.3, or the latest release
which I am hoping to upgrade to soon?

Thanks

Re: Thai Hyphenation Pattern

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Aug 19, 2008, at 01:31, Darren Munt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a Thai hyphenation pattern
> available, either for the very old version of FOP v0.20.3, or the
> latest release which I am hoping to upgrade to soon?

I don't think so. I found one reference in the archives:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/
200307.mbox/%3c20030714103445.69578.qmail@web14406.mail.yahoo.com%3e

AFAIK, nothing has changed in that area in the meantime...

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Thai Hyphenation Pattern

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Darren Munt wrote:
> I haven't read the whole thing, but that seems to indicate that Thai is
> all too hard.

Basically correct. You'll need a morphological analyzer and
probably a lexicon and to locate word boundaries for proper
line breaking.
However, Pango already has it
  http://www.pango.org/Introduction?highlight=(thai)
unfortunately not all that prominently documented. I haven't
had time to analyze what they do in detail. If you could take
a look at it...

J.Pietschmann

RE: Thai Hyphenation Pattern

Posted by Darren Munt <da...@ardex.com.au>.
OK, maybe I'm after the wrong thing - I guess it's line-breaking I want.
We have big long strings of text entered by Thai speakers with no spaces
and I need a line break in an appropriate place so that it wraps to the
next line. I thought that was handled by hyphenation but apparently not.

So although it's not supported at present, it may be at some point in
the future? I've just nipped off and had a look at UAX#14. It says in
part:

"The third style is used for scripts such as Thai, which do not use
spaces, but which restrict word breaks to syllable boundaries, the
determination of which requires knowledge of the language comparable to
that required by a hyphenation algorithm. Such an algorithm is beyond
the scope of the Unicode Standard."

I haven't read the whole thing, but that seems to indicate that Thai is
all too hard. My interim solution is to use lang="zh" to get it to at
least wrap the text rather than having it go off the page. I've yet to
find out whether that's acceptable or not in Thailand.

It might be a ca
se of best we ca
n do.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.