Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Byrne <jb...@snbw.org> on 2008/10/30 23:22:10 UTC

Version 6.0.18 of Tomcat

I've tried for 2 days now to get my own HelloWorld program working with
Apache Tomcat.  I have the exact same structure that the examples and
ROOT containers in the distribution have.  However, I get an error in
the users log specifying a class is not found. Is this my Test.class
file it can't find?

Oct 30, 2008 2:25:21 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
listenerStart

SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
listeners.SessionListener

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: listeners.SessionListener

            at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader
.java:1387)

            at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader
.java:1233)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.j
ava:3786)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4342
)

            at
org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.start(ManagerServlet.java:124
7)

            at
org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.start(HTMLManagerServlet.
java:604)

            at
org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServlet.
java:129)

            at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)

            at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

            at
tionFilterChain.java:290)

            at
erChain.java:206)

            at
e.java:233)

            at
e.java:191)

            at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticator
Base.java:525)

            at
:128)

            at
:102)

            at
java:109)

            at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:2
86)

            at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:84
5)

            at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(
Http11Protocol.java:583)

            at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)

            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The container itself doesn't "start" either.  In the Tomcat output
window it says:

Oct 30, 2008 3:07:50 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Error listenerStart

Oct 30, 2008 3:07:50 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Context [/Test] startup failed due to previous errors

When I click on the /Test container in the manager it replies:

type Status report

message

description The requested resource () is not available.

I even tried putting the libraries in the examples directory in my own
Test lib directory.

I've run out of things to try.  Is there something else I can test the
system with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Byrne

Support Network for Battered Women

1257 Tasman Dr. Suite C

Sunnyvale, CA

94089

(408) 541-6100 x 138

Fax: (408) 541-3333

RE: Version 6.0.18 of Tomcat -- Web.xml file and file/directory structure

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: John Byrne [mailto:jbyrne@snbw.org]
> Subject: RE: Version 6.0.18 of Tomcat -- Web.xml file and
> file/directory structure
>
> Attached is my web.xml file.

Your web.xml file is completely wrong for your test application.  All of those extra filters, listeners, and servlets which aren't present in the lib or classes directories will not allow your webapp to load.  The WEB-INF/web.xml must describe just what's in your webapp, nothing more.

 - Chuck

RE: Version 6.0.18 of Tomcat -- Web.xml file and file/directory structure

Posted by John Byrne <jb...@snbw.org>.
It worked!  Thank you all for your help!

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> Good Evening John-
>
> in /WEB-INF/web.xml make sure your listener is configured in e.g.
>     <listener>
>         <listener-class>listeners.SessionListener</listener-class>
>     </listener>

No. Completely wrong.

The whole point is that Tomcat *can't* find a listener that is already
configured in web.xml.

>> Attached is my web.xml file.  (It is the same xml file that comes with
>> the distribution except the added code below.)

That is probably the root cause of your problems. You should not be copying
any of the existing web.xml files to start a new webapp. Use a clean
web.xml as a starting point.

Mark

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Evening John-

in /WEB-INF/web.xml make sure your listener is configured in e.g.
    <listener>
        <listener-class>listeners.SessionListener</listener-class>
    </listener>

Keep up the good work
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note