Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Joe Zitnik <JZ...@hfcc.net> on 2006/07/05 20:30:14 UTC

Spam success stats

Does anyone have a source for statistics on spam victims, ie. the number
of people who actually click on the "Remove Me" line, or who "update
their banking information", or who actually buy those pencil enlargement
pills?

Re: Spam success stats

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Joe Zitnik wrote:
> Does anyone have a source for statistics on spam victims, ie. the number
> of people who actually click on the "Remove Me" line, or who "update
> their banking information", or who actually buy those pencil enlargement
> pills?

Not as such but there was one client who hadn't payed his bills so no
updates were done on his system, which was then compromised and had a
fake banking site installed on it.

I noticed it pretty quickly but during the time it was up (about 2
hours) there were 12 people who obviously gotten a bank spam/scam and
had entered in their private PIN and bank account information.

We contacted the bank the next day and they took care of those clients
but I was still amazed to see 12 people enter their private information
in 2 hours.

Regards,

Rick