Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2003/01/05 14:05:32 UTC

Feedback from Tapestry developers, WAS: RE: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

[... very long mail with questions and answers about/pro adoption/incubation
 of Tapestry...]

>> To me, Tapestry seems a bit too mature for the ASF, and I don't think
>> we can add substantial value to Tapestry.  The word for this list is
>> 'incubator.'  This seems like an adoption rather than an incubation.
>
> I'd agree with this last sentence. But given the Tapestry developers
> originally put the proposal to Jakarta, and that all new projects were
> supposed to come through 'incubation' (AFAIK), that's how they got here.

Yes, that is the case.  Without Incubator in place Tapestry would no
doubt already be absorbed by Jakarta.  Personally I would say that would
have been a bad thing, since the Jakarta PMC is overloaded as it is.

So, now we are here, Tapestry is considered for incubation.  We've kept
them hanging in limbo for far too long... apologies for that.  Now it is
time for action.  And some of us have some questions we'd like to see
answered by the Tapestry folk.

It would be nice to hear from the Tapestry developers themselves on what
they expect to gain from becoming an ASF project.

Sander

Re: Feedback from Tapestry developers, WAS: RE: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
This is an honest request.  Could the Incubator PMC go dsicuss and come
up with a set of guidelines and unanswered questions which are not
ASF-internal questions (which you can't reasonably expect them to
answer) then post them here.

I'm confused.  I assume they are.  This conversation is not starting out
right.  Its meandering back into "reorg" questions which I'd prefer not
to see happen rather than addressing *this* project.

So please come back with a clear list of questions FOR the tapestry
committers.  I see it as more dIon and my place to *shield* them from
the usual "You can't join because you're too mature.  You can't join
because your too immature" stuff and only ask them to answer the
questions which are clear and can be actually be answered.

I view those other "questions" as "opinions on the direction of Apache"
which can only be answered by the person that holds the said opinion.
(I appologize if the tone sounds harsh or horse just how I feel about
these types of discussions)

-Andy