Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Darren Marvin <dj...@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk> on 2003/12/16 16:37:27 UTC

IPR for contributions to Axis

Hi,

Am I right in saying that Axis will not accept contributions that do not pass on copyright / IPR to the Apache Foundation? I would like to contribute but this might be a stumbling block.

Thanks,

Darren.

Re: IPR for contributions to Axis

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Tom Oinn wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> Seeing as Axis uses libraries (in particular Java Mail and a few others)
> that don't have this property, couldn't you contribute in this fashion?
> I just poked around the license terms - as you know I am not a lawyer -
> and it's certainly implied that copyright is passed on to the foundation
> rather than the individual person or organisation that commited it. I
> couldn't find a clear statement on the website but perhaps I was looking
> in the wrong places.

for code to go into the axis codebase, you have to give Apache the
rights to it. If you have issues with management about this, point out
that you gain access to code written by many people, including IBM,
Macromedia and any others.

If your company doesnt relinquish the rights, they can retain ownership
by keeping the source private. Only then they have to keep the source up
to date and deal with the problem of what to do when Axis adds SAAJ1.2
itself -as this will be someone else's implementation.

Too often people (esp lawyers) think code contains valuable
"intellectual property". But by and large, all it contains is
engineering effort that can de duplicated at will. The only area that I
have ever come across 'trade secrets' in code are related to algorithms
for rendering fonts and the like -and even then the Linux graphics
libraries (both X11 and inkjet) are up to par with the 'secret' algorithms.

Re: IPR for contributions to Axis

Posted by Tom Oinn <tm...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Hi Darren,

Seeing as Axis uses libraries (in particular Java Mail and a few others)
that don't have this property, couldn't you contribute in this fashion?
I just poked around the license terms - as you know I am not a lawyer -
and it's certainly implied that copyright is passed on to the foundation
rather than the individual person or organisation that commited it. I
couldn't find a clear statement on the website but perhaps I was looking
in the wrong places.

Tom

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
If it's small changes to code....just use bugzilla and/or the mailing list and post "cvs diff -u".
Committers need to sign the CLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/) before allowing commit access.

thanks,
dims

=====