Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu> on 1996/06/02 20:07:05 UTC

Useful patch idea - multiple .htaccess files

Something that I would find extremyl useful would be the ability to specify
more than one .htaccess file on the AccessFileName directive.

The reason for this is that I have multiple servers running on different
machines accessing a shared file space. Different servers have different
purposes... For example, we only allow cgi access on one of those servers.

Something that I have wanted to do in a couple of cases is to do something
in an .htaccess file only on one of those servers...

For example, I'd like to redirect all requests from:

http://wwwcgi.umr.edu/~nneul to http://www.umr.edu/~nneul

What I would like to do is to be able to have htaccess files that are
specific to the host... Something like this:

On www.umr.edu:
        AccessFileName .htaccess .htaccess.www

On wwwcgi.umr.edu:
        AccessFileName .htaccess .htaccess.wwwcgi

They would be sourced in that order...

This seems like it would be a simple patch that shouldn't have any negative
effects, other than that it has to look for two htaccess files in each
directory instead of just one.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org