Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2014/11/20 12:04:30 UTC

Re: Taverna .deb -> apt-getable repository - finally

On 20 November 2014 10:54, "Steffen Möller" <st...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Stian,
>
> Tim and I are here at this EDAM-put-your-stuff-in Hackathon in Copenhagen and ... guess what ... we think off you and your Taverna .deb awaiting to be homed in an apt-get-able repository. You may recall that I claimed this all to be easy and then nothing worked for me ... Tim, having his .deb repository for ages, confirmed that it should be easy and hat it at his fingertips:
>
> sudo apt-get install apt-utils # for apt-ftparchive
>
> mkdir taverna/repository
> cd taverna/repository
> wget
/taverna-workbench-core-2.5.0-linux_amd64.deb
> apt-ftparchive packages . |tee ../Packages | gzip -c9n > ../Packages.gz
> cd ..
> apt-ftparchive release .|tee Release
> gpg  --detach-sign -a Release
> mv Release.asc Release.gpg
>
> We found
> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository#apt-ftparchive
> with some google search that may help any further decision making on your side ...
> For any issues arising please contact Tim who easily finds his BioLinux scripts once he is back at his servers.

Great! That seems fairly easy - as long as I am able to create the
repository on a Debian machine and then transfer it across to our
awkward Fedora server :)

So your suggestion is we put this repository at the Taverna update
site, or you have already created one?

You would probably want to use the alternative *.deb files that I
asked for someone to test in Ubuntu (which didn't get any response) -
see

http://updates.taverna.org.uk/tmp/2.5.0-T3-1207/

We should definitely try to do such a repository for the 2.5.1
("final" Non-Apache) release.

Apache Mentors - do you know of other projects that do Debian
repositories for their stuff - or feed into the main repositories?

BTW, Steffen, have you signed up to
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-taverna-dev/ ?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)

Re: Taverna .deb -> apt-getable repository - finally

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.
I don't but checking out other Apache projects is always a good place to
start.

Marlon

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@soiland-reyes.com>.

Re: Aw: Re: Taverna .deb -> apt-getable repository - finally

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Stian,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>.

Posted by Tim Booth <tb...@ceh.ac.uk>.

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 20/11/2014 13:13, "Steffen Möller" wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
>> I guess it should be separate packages for the variants of Taverna 2.5
>> e.g. biodiversity and astronomy.
>
> Once you have the repository set up, it will all become easy to split things
> up for a better user experience.

OK. The variants are currently available as separate .deb downloads

>> Steffen, on a side issue, have you been tracking the common workflow
>> language group's work on developing tool descriptions?
>
> No, I have not, but am happy for any step forward. I am writing from
> the ELIXIR-DK EDAM ontology hackathon and the corresponding catalog
> that is to be partially fed by the Debian distro.

Very interesting.

> Nobody is aware of
> those command line interfaces to Taverna or the 2008 Bioinformatics
> paper. Scandal! So, I will show the Taverna-ready descriptions of
> tool-usages to the catalog people over here and let us see how they
> react to it.

OK. The common workflow languages group
common-workflow-language@googlegroups.com is a public Google group that
includes people from several workflow languages. Despite the name, its
initial target is the specification of a format for describing "steps" -
so the tool description of Taverna with more capability.

A good place to start is

https://github.com/rabix/common-workflow-language/tree/master/core for
the specs.

Fun things are being done (by other people) about describing docker "tools".

> Best,
>
> Steffen

Alan

Aw: Re: Taverna .deb -> apt-getable repository - finally

Posted by Steffen Möller <st...@gmx.de>.
Hi Alan,

> I guess it should be separate packages for the variants of Taverna 2.5
> e.g. biodiversity and astronomy.

Once you have the repository set up, it will all become easy to split things
up for a better user experience.

> Steffen, on a side issue, have you been tracking the common workflow
> language group's work on developing tool descriptions?

No, I have not, but am happy for any step forward. I am writing from
the ELIXIR-DK EDAM ontology hackathon and the corresponding catalog
that is to be partially fed by the Debian distro. Nobody is aware of