Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2016/10/25 17:30:12 UTC

Sign advisories?

When we do a security release, we upload a *.txt advisory to
https://subversion.apache.org/security/ and link it from the
announcement.  That advisory isn't currently signed.  Could we sign
them?

That'd be useful, since they contain patches.  They are already signed
in the "embargoed pre-notification" emails, IIRC; just not when they're
uploaded to the site.

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S. I couldn't find where the "Security release checklist" that the RM
follows for security releases is.  Any pointers?

Re: Sign advisories?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 25.10.2016 19:50, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Branko \u010cibej wrote on Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 19:44:28 +0200:
>> If we do this, I'd argue for making the files ASCII-armored PGP, not
>> keeping signatures separate.
> Inline PGP has a problem with lines that start with a hyphen, which
> occur in patches.
>
> I think our options are:
>
> - Use detached signatures

You just convinced me ...

Re: Sign advisories?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: Sign advisories?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 25.10.2016 19:30, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> When we do a security release, we upload a *.txt advisory to
> https://subversion.apache.org/security/ and link it from the
> announcement.  That advisory isn't currently signed.  Could we sign
> them?
>
> That'd be useful, since they contain patches.  They are already signed
> in the "embargoed pre-notification" emails, IIRC; just not when they're
> uploaded to the site.

Should be moderately easy to do by tweaking tools/dist/advisory.py.

If we do this, I'd argue for making the files ASCII-armored PGP, not
keeping signatures separate.

-- Brane