Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Sam Lee <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/25 22:37:58 UTC

Can Lucene be Used To Substitute Real Database?

Hi,
  I am wondering if I can use Lucene to substitute
real database like mysql db?  I know that many people
use lucene only to index mysql db because of inferior
full-text index of mysql.

Can Lucene to be used in place of mysql so that
website visitors can input data that will in turn
inserting row into Lucene just like mysql db?

Many thanks.

Re: Can Lucene be Used To Substitute Real Database?

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
First of all, just using Lucene to replace rdms is quite possible in
some specific cases.

In addition to updating and string/number issues, Lucene also lacks
many rdms functionalities. One of them is aggregation functions like
SUM(), or "group by".

Of course, in some case, you may be able to get around it by just
using Lucene's existing functionalities. But you will need to worry
about multi-threaded updating, Lucene index optimization, etc.

Chris Lu
------------------------------
Lucene Full-Text Search on Any Database
http://www.DBSight.net

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Someone donated his code to Sourceforge.
But it's pretty rudimentary.
You may check it out.

Chris

Posted by Sam Lee <vi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.

Posted by gekkokid <me...@gekkokid.org.uk>.
Wouldnt the problem be if you had many updates, with a sql db you can just
update the record (no harm done) and with lucene it would require a lot more
work, from my limited experience with lucene i cant remember if lucene
allows updates to the index, my thoughts are it would have to be re-indexed
each time your lucene index was changed, can anyone confirm this?

_gk