Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan <jo...@jdevans.info> on 2007/12/13 13:59:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Unable to detach child process

I am having problems with a web application which is used to stop and
start 2 system services. If these are started from httpd then when httpd
is killed the system services also die - not what I expect or want.

I am using apache 2.0.52 running on RedHat linux.

The web application runs some ruby cgi code which in turn runs a script
file containing:

   #!/bin/bash

   sudo /etc/init.d/simacqdriver $1 &> /dev/null

The simacqdriver file is a standard startup script which runs a java
program.

The running process shows up as:

   pid       ppid    user
   20472     1       root

The process is not owned by any of the httpd processes so I do not
understand why it is connected to httpd stopping.

Any advice gratefully received.

Jonathan