Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2006/12/14 22:55:46 UTC

Maven Site Plugin

Hi,

I have managed to get the site plugin working with 2.0.4 and it
really wasn't a simple matter of rolling back some stuff. In order
for the site plugin to work with 2.0.4 the version of doxia that is
in MAVEN_HOME/lib must be used which is doxia-1.0-alpha-7. The
version of doxia in trunk is not very much like 1.0-alpha-7 at all
and creating a bridge required a compat package with bits from maven-
reporting, doxia-core, doxia-site-renderer, doxia-document-render.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how what's in trunk could
work at all as there are so many class that are different with
methods removed, or classes not present in doxia-1.0-alpha-7. Another
problem was relying on some changes in plexus-utils that are not
available in the version used in 2.0.4

I have created a tag in svn that marks the point right before I
created the bridge for reverting if something is wrong here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-site-plugin-
pre-compat-with-doxia-1.0-alpha-7/

I have created some notes about the compatibility here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-site-plugin/
compatibility-notes.txt

I have checked in what I have that makes it work for the /maven/
components site generation and I have deployed a snapshot that people
can try:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-site-plugin/2.0-SNAPSHOT/

So for that poor fellow who was trying to jump through rings of fire
to generate his sites, this one's for you :-)

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.

Hi Jason,

[cut]
>> thanks for your work. I tried to build my site with maven 2.0.4. and
>> maven-site-plugin 2.0-SNAPSHOT and now javadoc seems to work even if
>> the site is staged (site:stage). I do not know if that was intended  by your fix.
>> But maybe this only happened, because maven-javadoc-plugin was  updated, too.
>>
>> Anyhow jxr and cobertura are still broken, so MSITE-138 is still  not fixed for
>> maven 2.0.4:
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-138
>>

> Do you think you could give me a sample project with the projects
> configuration that you have. I have run Cobertura and JXR on some of
> Joakim's sites so we'll track it down. Give me an example of what you
> have that doesn't work and I'll track it down.
First of all, thanks for taking care.
My project has public subversion access here:
http://m-m-m.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

I used the official maven 2.0.4. To ensure there are no strage side-effects from
other experiments, I cleared my local .m2/repository.
I setup my settings.xml as described in
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-plugin-snapshot-repositories.html
To ensure that maven-site-plugin is used in the 2.0-SNAPSHOT version,
I added this explicitly to my master pom:
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
         <version>2.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
      </plugin>

When I run
mvn -Papache site:stage -DstagingDirectory=/foo/bar
I still have the problem with jxr and cobertura.
I use java 6 to compile my project. I also tried it with java 5,
but it does not work eigther. I cannot build my project with java 1.4
or lower since I am using lots of syntactic sugar ;)

If you want to reproduce the problem you will get the problem, that
the complete build will not work because there are dependencies missing,
not (yet) available in central repo. But if you just ignore those and
run an "mvn -Papache install" followed by the site:stage command above
both as far as it works, you will already see the problem in the modules
that have successfully been completed (e.g. mmm-nls-core).

If you find it too inconvenient to dig in my project, let me know and
if I can find the time, I setup a little demo to reproduce the problem.

My experience is that this happens in any "multi-project" situation together
with site:stage or site:deploy. With a plain "site" everything works fine
but the site for the complete project itself is not useable because the
links between the projects are broken. For maintaining my project site
I realy need site:stage to work properly. I am waiting for this to work
for over half a year now and am very happy to see that a fix for this
show-stopper is finally making big progress. I also digged in the sources and
tried to think about a fix but I got lost since the complete head of the maven
plugins was not compileable and the dependencies went so deep down, that I got
lost. I also tried it with maven 2.1 and gave up after a cuple of frustrating
hours. I worte my own MOJO and have a little understanding of plexus and the
maven architecture - but really understanding the whole animal is not a task of
a cuple of hours... Anyhow from what I have seen you have done great with maven2
- - maven1 was realy a hack (sorry for that, but it just worked and thats it)
and maven2 is a designed piece of software.
Thank you very much for your effort!!!

>> Did I get something wrong. Was your fix about something else?
>

> I was only trying to get it to run in 2.0.4 and make sure that worked.
I am still not sure if I got you right about what you fixed and what worked for
you. But maybe you can now reproduce the problem I (and many others) have with
maven2 (2.0.4).

>> Anyhow since javadoc works I get the impression, that your maven- site-plugin
>> fixed prepared something so the reports can now work with  site:stage but
>> only maven-javadoc-plugin has already been fixed to work together  with this
>> new fix while jxr and cobertura still do something wrong.
>> Can anybody enlighten my nescience?
>

> I have not actually tried to close any issues in the site plugin  myself :-)
> Just wanted to make sure it's all working for 2.0.4 users.
I did not want to arrest you for my problems. But MSITE-138 is a real
show-stopper and I pick up on every trace I can get about this one.
E.g. my mail "MSITE-138: showstopper still without solution?" (03.12.2006 16:03)
on dev@maven.apache.org seemed to be an helpless scream that
got lost in space ;)

> Jason.

Thanks again
  Jörg

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Jason,

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/17/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> The maven-site-plugin should be good now.

This problem is back.  When site.xml contains ${modules}, I get:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error parsing site descriptor

Embedded error: expected START_TAG or END_TAG not TEXT (position: TEXT seen ...
  [tiles-api, tiles-core, tiles-test, tiles-showcase]\r\n        <m... @74:11)

This happens with maven-site-plugin 2.0-SNAPSHOT from the repository
(Dec 15th?) and when I build it from source (last changed r494359).
It does not happen with maven-site-plugin 2.0-beta-5.

I'm testing with the code at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/trunk

--
Wendy

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/12/2006, at 1:49 AM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

>  (btw mvn site takes about 4 minutes since it pings all snapshot
> repos multiple
>   times for each artifact)

How recent is your 2.1 build? I thought I recently fixed that.

- Brett

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 17 Dec 06, at 10:27 AM 17 Dec 06, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> Yes - built from trunk. The jar includes it. But see below:

Now for some of the new classworlds magic! :-) Don't be frightened :-)

>>>  which is to be expected. Too bad this doesn't work, since all
>>> reporting plugins are really
>>>  plugins for the site plugin and should be in a sub-realm of the
>>> site plugin.
>
> The reporting-api from the m2 installation is used, not the site
> one, so this is fine.
> The noClassDef is from the report plugin, not from site plugin
> (should've made that clearer).

Ok, I can sort this out but really it's only 2.0.4 I care about right
now.

>>>  Will 2.0.5 include the new maven-reporting-api?
>>>
>>>  (mvn site takes 11 seconds)
>>>
>>> With maven 2.1-SNAPSHOT I get:
>>>
>>>  (btw mvn site takes about 4 minutes since it pings all snapshot
>>> repos multiple
>>>   times for each artifact)
>>>

>>>  Caused by:
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParserException:
>>> expected START_TAG or END_TAG not TEXT
>>>  (position: TEXT    seen ...<menu ref="reports"/>\n\n\t\t[]\n
>>> </... @35:5)
>>>  My site.xml only includes ${reports} and ${modules}, not the new-
>>> style <menu ref/>.
>>>
>> Ok, I can swap whatever is necessary.

In the site plugin we are looking for those old references and
changing them to the new.

> [snip]
>
>>>  The '[]' is the problem. This is on the exact location of the
>>> original ${modules} tag, so that one needs fixing.
>>>
>> Sure, you want to JIRA that for 2.0, I pushed all the issues off
>> to 2.0.1 but I'll fix those couple things and release doxia and
>> call the rest can wait until 2.0.1.
>
> Ok will do - this has to be fixed before the next release, since it
> used to work.

Agreed. Maybe snag your site that you used and we'll turn it into an
integration test.

jason.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

?

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi Jason,

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 15 Dec 06, at 2:35 PM 15 Dec 06, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On 12/15/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll work with you today if you have time and we'll try out the
>> struts site.
>
> It ran with no errors on the Struts 1.x and top-level sites, but I
> won't have time to make sure everything looks okay until tomorrow
> afternoon.

Sure, no problem. I'll try it out some more and get others too and
we'll call a vote on Monday.

Jason.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Wendy,

I'll work with you today if you have time and we'll try out the
struts site. The ${modules} reference will now be replaced with the
new references. I put back in support for all the legacy stuff I
noticed as it changed drastically from beta-5 to the present. The
configuration for the site descriptor and any configurations should
be considered part of the API. I've deployed a new snapshot. I will
also have to release doxia as the new version works in there now.

Jason.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> I have managed to get the site plugin working with 2.0.4 and it
> really wasn't a simple matter of rolling back some stuff.

Thanks for doing this.  But... (you knew it was coming)  I'm having
trouble with it when site.xml contains ${modules}.  I get this:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error parsing site descriptor

Embedded error: expected START_TAG or END_TAG not TEXT (position: TEXT seen ...a

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 15 Dec 06, at 3:03 AM 15 Dec 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> I haven't looked, but this can't be right. Thte only things you
> need to match are:
> - doxia-sink-api
> - maven-reporting-api

I started with the doxia version that was in 2.0.4 to make sure there
were no problems. So I've whittled it down to 2 classes and some code
from plexus-utils. This should allow people to do multi-page reports
if they like and use the SinkFactory in doxia. Not much we can do
about plexus-utils as it's in the core.

> These are quite small, but were impacted by Kenney's change which
> is where the incompat. came in. I have certainly used newer doxia
> site renderer/etc. code with maven 2.0.4.
>
> I'm not going to have time to look at this for a couple of days,
> but something is seriously wrong if this was necessary.

Yah, it's just way to long for releases so it takes days to get up to
speed. I was just overly cautious but it works now with all my tests.
I've updated the copyright and will deploy everything for voting.

This will also require a release of doxia. I'll do that as well.

Jason.

Re: Maven Site Plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.