Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ma...@jpmorgan.com on 2008/01/22 12:05:00 UTC

Tomcat native / APR for windows

Hi,

I am trying to build tomcat native for windows and have not been very
successful on this..

Below are the steps that I have take to try and get this done

·       Extracted Tomcat  Native from the source in the directory
structure E:\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\native

·       Extracted apr from the source in the directory structure for the
libtcnative.mak file to use it. It should not be pre
compiled.E:\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\apr

·       Extracted OpenSSL libraries in the directory structure
E:\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\openssl

·       Set the JAVA_HOME to point to appropriate jdk.

·       Using Visual VC ++ 6, I exported the libtcnative.mak file from the
libtcnative.dsw project. ( libtcnatitve.mak file is not included in the
tomcat native source and it has to be extracted using  using export
makefile option which is available VC ++ 6. It even extracts tcnative.mak
and libapr.mak).

·       Add user32.lib  next to kernel32.lib in the libtcnative.mak. The
.mak file links with various libraries, including kernel32.lib and
advapi32.lib, but it does not link with user32.lib.

·       When we run nmake on libtcnative.mak it even compiles the apr
libraries and uses them and creates libtcnative.dll.

·       Running the following command:   nmake –f  libtcnative.mak will
compile the tomcat-native libraries.

 But when I run nmake –f  libtcnative.mak I get the below error... Lost
form here on ..

Version Details
   openssl-0.9.8e
    tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src
    apr-1.2.9-win32-src

E:\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\native>nmake
-f libtcnative.mak

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

No configuration specified. Defaulting to libtcnative - Win32 Debug.
        cd
"\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\apr"
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" /
         /F ".\libapr.mak" CFG="libapr - Win32 Debug"

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        cd "..\native"
        cl.exe /nologo /MDd /W4 /GX /Zi /Od /I "./include" /I
"../apr/include" /I "../apr/include/arch/win32" /I "/include" /I
"/include/win32" /I "../openssl/in
c32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "TCN_DECLARE_EXPORT" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D
"NO_IDEA" /D "NO_RC5" /D "NO_MDC2" /D "OPENSSL_NO_IDEA" /D
"OPENSSL_NO_RC5" /D "OPENSSL_NO_M
DC2" /D "HAVE_OPENSSL" /D HAVE_SSL_SET_STATE=1 /Fo".\Debug\\"
/Fd".\Debug\libtcnative_src" /FD /c .\src\address.c
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GX' has been deprecated and will
be removed in a future release
cl : Command line warning D9036 : use 'EHsc' instead of 'GX'
address.c
e:\tomcat55-build\tomcat-native\tomcat-native-1.1.10-win32-src\jni\native\include\tcn_api.h(36)
: fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'jni.h': No such f
ile or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\cl.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Could you help me out here and let me know what I have done wrong ..

Do you have a step by step approach on how to get apr / tomcat native
build on windows. The http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html  does not
give you step by step documented approach on how to get things going.

In http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html Integrating the Library

 We should tell ya'll 'bout this, no?  ( Not a great help ha .. ) Could
you please have this information documented on the website , that would be
a great help ..

Regards,
Mark Anthony

Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.
disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Re: Tomcat native / APR for windows

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
mark.x.anthony@jpmorgan.com wrote:

> I am trying to build tomcat native for windows and have not been very
> successful on this..

I can't help with your problem, but would you mind explaining why you
want to build the native library yourself?
The Tomcat installer .exe will fetch and install the native dll during
the setup process if requested to. Or you can get pre-built binaries here:
http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native

Regards
  mks

Re: Tomcat native / APR for windows

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I'm guessing that you don't have JAVA_HOME set when you try to compile it
(or when you exported the Makefile).  Thus the compiler can't find
%JAVA_HOME%\include\jni.h, which it needs to integrate with the Java code.