Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by "Nelson, Lauren" <ln...@forrester.com> on 2014/01/29 00:35:55 UTC

Current downloads figure?

Hi CloudStack team --

I'm writing a report on the state of standards in IaaS which we'll be
sending through for review in the upcoming weeks. Before it's ready for
review, I am looking to include an estimate on the total number of
downloads. Could you provide the most recent figure? It would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

--

*Lauren E. Nelson*

*Analyst*, Serving Infrastructure & Operations Professionals | *Forrester
Research, Inc.* | *60 Acorn Park Drive, Cambridge, MA 02140 United
States |** direct
+1 617.613.6682 **| lnelson@forrester.com <ln...@forrester.com> | **My
blog <http://blogs.forrester.com/lauren_nelson> | @lauren_e_nelson
<https://twitter.com/lauren_e_nelson> | LinkedIn profile
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lauren-nelson/10/203/864>*

Re: Current downloads figure?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
Lauren,

Unfortunately this is a bit of a complicated question to answer
directly, but I can share some information that might give you a feel
for the rate of adoption.

First, the source code is distributed via a mirroring system
maintained by volunteer organizations willing to help the ASF with
distribution.  The source code downloads are *not* tracked by anyone,
so I do not have any method of answering on this front.

Second, obviously the source code is also maintained within our git
repositories.  As with the official source code bundles, we have no
method of tracking how many copies of this repository exist.

Third, we obviously have no way of accounting for the commercial
software packages based on Apache CloudStack (Citrix CloudPlatform,
Trend Micro's TCloud distribution, and others).

What we do have, is a community provided repository for pre-compiled
linux packages (DEB and RPM) of Apache CloudStack.  This is likely the
primary method of installation of the Apache CloudStack software
(outside of commercial distributions).  In July of 2013, one of our
community members did a quick analysis of the number of *unique* IP
addresses that downloaded packages from this location.  In the 10
months, we had 18,000 downloads.  We looked at this again in November
of 2013, but only for a 10 day period, which showed over 1,800 unique
download locations during that time.  This is obviously not a detailed
trend analysis, but getting over 10% of the number of downloading IP's
seen in the first 10 months in as little as 10 days seems like an
upward trend to me.

One other point to make: we offer a command line tool for interacting
with our API.  This is certainly not the only option available to
users of a CloudStack-based cloud, but that tool has been downloaded
from the python package index over 10,000 times since it's release.

Please let us know if you have any further questions...  Happy to help
you understand the project, with the obvious qualification that
projects at the ASF are certainly not able to track things in quite
the same way as a commercial product company can.

-chip

Chip Childers
VP Apache CloudStack
The Apache Software Foundation