Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yishay Mor <y....@ioe.ac.uk> on 2003/07/02 19:40:20 UTC

The notorious RH8+Apache2.0.4+Mod_jk2 (was: Re: HELP with mod_jk)

I've read the thread(s), gone through the jakarta docs, read a dozen
how-tos, still no go.

Platform:
========
* RedHat 8, with its -
* custom Apache (2.0.4 w/ modifications?)
* Tomcat 4.1
* mod_jk2  binaries for RH from http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=1133

Situation:
=======
Tomcat works, on 8080 (although the  admin app is bogus, but that's on
another thread)
Apache identifies mod_jk2, but then fails on
    [error] shm.init(): No file
    [error] jk2_init() Can't find child 3993 in scoreboard

I've actually managed to hook them up using ProxyPass, but that's too
crude a hack to satisfy me,

Analysis
======
If  I could get the shm to work, my life will be given back to me.

I've cut & paste relevant sections of our config files on the admin wiki:
http://www.weblabs.eu.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AdminPage/Scratch

Here's a summary:
-------- httpd.conf: ---------------
LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so
JkSet config.file conf/workers2.properties

-------- jk2.properties: -----------
handler.list=channelSocket,request
channelSocket.port=8009
shm.file=/etc/httpd/logs/jk2.shm

------- workers2.properties: -----
[shm]
file=/etc/httpd/logs/shm.file
size=1048576

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=localhost

# define the worker
[ajp13:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

# Uri mapping
[uri:*.jsp]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space
[uri:/examples/*]
info=Map the whole webapp worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

------- server.xml: ------------

    <!-- Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false"
               protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

------ error.log ------------

[error] shm.init(): No file
[error] jk2_init() Can't find child 3993 in scoreboard
[error] shm.init(): No file
[error] mod_jk child init 1 -2
[error] jk2_init() Can't find child 3994 in scoreboard
:
[error] mod_jk child init 1 -2
[notice] Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux) configured -- resuming normal
operations

- Yishay

Yishay Mor
	   http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4381&4381_0=7303
	   y.mor@ioe.ac.uk  Ph +44(0)20 7612 6963 F +44(0)20 7612 6964
	   AIM,Yahoo: yishaym; Jabber: yishaym@jabber.org; ICQ: 179772099

	   If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
	   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=yishaym

Re: The notorious RH8+Apache2.0.4+Mod_jk2 (was: Re: HELP with mod_jk)

Posted by "Eric J. Pinnell" <er...@iCky.org>.
Hi,

ya... you are right.  At least on most systems this works.  Not sure about
Linux and it's "special" apache.  But typically:

./configure --with-apxs2=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs
make

I don't use ant either.

-e

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Yishay Mor <y....@ioe.ac.uk>.

John Turner wrote:

> Actually, there was a post on this last week.  Check the archives.
> RH's munged Apache requires some sort of tweak to the OS that will
> effect the scoreboard when using JK2.
>
> I don't use JK, RH 8, nor RH's Apache, so I didn't really pay
> attention to what the solution was.  It was definitely within the last
> two weeks.
>
> The alternative is to just build JK from source and use that...it
> would probably be a lot less hassle.
>
> John
>
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:41:22 -0400 (EDT), Eric J. Pinnell
> <er...@iCky.org> wrote:
>
>> I think JkSet config.file needs a full path.  You can't short cut it
>> like
>> you can with a LoadModule.
>>
>> JkSet config.file /path/to/apache/conf/workers2.properties.
>>
>> I think right now it's not seeing your config file.
>>
>> Dunno...  try it.
>>
>> -e
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Yishay Mor wrote:
>>
>>> I've read the thread(s), gone through the jakarta docs, read a dozen
>>> how-tos, still no go.
>>>
>>> Platform:
>>> ========
>>> * RedHat 8, with its -
>>> * custom Apache (2.0.4 w/ modifications?)
>>> * Tomcat 4.1
>>> * mod_jk2  binaries for RH from http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=1133
>>>
>>> Situation:
>>> =======
>>> Tomcat works, on 8080 (although the  admin app is bogus, but that's on
>>> another thread)
>>> Apache identifies mod_jk2, but then fails on
>>> [error] shm.init(): No file
>>> [error] jk2_init() Can't find child 3993 in scoreboard
>>>
>>> I've actually managed to hook them up using ProxyPass, but that's too
>>> crude a hack to satisfy me,
>>>
>>> Analysis
>>> ======
>>> If  I could get the shm to work, my life will be given back to me.
>>>
>>> I've cut & paste relevant sections of our config files on the admin
>>> wiki:
>>> http://www.weblabs.eu.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AdminPage/Scratch
>>>
>>> Here's a summary:
>>> -------- httpd.conf: ---------------
>>> LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so
>>> JkSet config.file conf/workers2.properties
>>>
>>> -------- jk2.properties: -----------
>>> handler.list=channelSocket,request
>>> channelSocket.port=8009
>>> shm.file=/etc/httpd/logs/jk2.shm
>>>
>>> ------- workers2.properties: -----
>>> [shm]
>>> file=/etc/httpd/logs/shm.file

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Apache Wiki: HowToRedhat8JK2 (Re: The notorious RH8+Apache2.0.4+Mod_jk2 (was: Re: HELP with mod_jk))

Posted by "Eric J. Pinnell" <er...@iCky.org>.
Hi,

I get that message in the apache error log upon startup and I'm using
Solaris.  I think it's normal.

-e

Posted by Yishay Mor <y....@ioe.ac.uk>.
Yeee Ha!!! Hallelujah!  :-)