Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by KZ Win <kz...@pelotoncycle.com> on 2014/08/01 11:46:22 UTC

how do i know if nodetool repair is finished

I have a 2 node apache cassandra (2.0.3) cluster with rep factor of 1. I
change rep factor to 2 using the following command in cqlsh

ALTER KEYSPACE "mykeyspace" WITH REPLICATION =   { 'class' :
'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor' : 2 };

I then tried to run recommended "nodetool repair" after doing this type of
alter.

The problem is that this command sometimes finishes very quickly. When it
does finishes like that it will normally say 'Lost notification...' and
exit code is not zero.

So I just repeat this 'nodetool repair' until it finishes without error. I
also check that 'nodetool status' reports expected disk space for each
node. (with rep factor 1, each node has say about 7GB each and I expect
after nodetool repair that each is 14GB each assuming no cluster usage in
the mean time)

Is there a more correct way to determine that 'nodetool repair' is finished
in this case?

how do i know if nodetool repair is finished

Posted by KZ Win <kz...@pelotoncycle.com>.
Thanks for great information.

Is it generally safe to accept read and write to the clusters while the
repair is going on?  I accept that the performance may be low
during this time.

Is it also generally safe to add another node to this cluster with higher
rep factor before the repair is not finished?

k.z.

http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Is-it-safe-to-stop-a-read-repair-and-any-suggestion-on-speeding-up-repairs-td6607367.html

Re: how do i know if nodetool repair is finished