Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/06/16 17:25:11 UTC

Re: Forrest 0.5 outstanding issues (Re: Cleaning Forrest source directory madness)

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 16/06/2003 16.13:

>>  - Speed!  Need to haul out the profiler and find out why normal Cocoon
>>    CLI rendering is 5-10x faster than Forrest.
>

> +1
>
> I don't know if/when I'll have time, but I'll surely want to work on this.

Ok, so I ran hprof on it, with the krysalis-site skin ans PDFS, and it
seems to tell me that most of the time is used in - guess what - in Xalan.

So I though, hey, it's our bl--dy skin that sucks, with wierd templates.
Guess what, this is what I got (all with PDF generation on):

  template:     31 seconds
  krysalis:     35 seconds
  forrest:      34 seconds
  forrest-css:  36 seconds

Wait a sec, it's not only the kind of skin then. It's about the number
and types of xsl transformations that it has to go through!

So, what I will have to do now is to do a profile on Cocoon, because the
java one has quite clearly shown that the problem is not in link
translation or other Forrest-specific component, but in the xsl
transformations, where they are, and what they do.

Also, IIUC we are still using the old crawling method, is this correct?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -