Posted to community@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/25 01:07:53 UTC

[apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Hi,

Here's an idea I came up with for the proposed Content/Web Technology
track in ApacheCon US 2009:

We'd reserve and mark a table or a corner of the Hackathon area as the
"Meet the developers" corner where conference attendees could come and
meet the speakers and other project committers in a semi-organized
manner. The "corner" would have a wiki page where people from various
projects can sign up so everyone will know when they'll be there and
what projects they know about. This should make it easier for users
and other interested people to connect with the developers. The corner
could also be used as a place for ad-hoc demos, hands-on tutorials,
etc. and I'd like to ask the speakers of this track to drop by the
corner for 10-15 minutes after their presentation for any followup
questions and discussions for which there wasn't enough time earlier.

If people like this idea, we could even expand it to cover the entire
conference instead of just a single track.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jukka,

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We'd reserve and mark a table or a corner of the Hackathon area as the
> "Meet the developers" corner where conference attendees could come and
> meet the speakers and other project committers in a semi-organized
> manner. The "corner" would have a wiki page where people from various
> projects can sign up so everyone will know when they'll be there and
> what projects they know about....

Sounds good, +1

> ...I'd like to ask the speakers of this track to drop by the
> corner for 10-15 minutes after their presentation for any followup
> questions and discussions for which there wasn't enough time earlier....

For this to work, I think the corner would have to be really close to
the talks. But why not try.

-Bertrand

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 25.05.2009 20:46, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> +1, but....
>>
>> what I'd really like to drum up the energy to do is a "Come develop
>> with the developers corner". In so much as I spend a decent amount of
>> every ApacheCon now working on a Commons release and being able to
>> pull people in and distribute out some JIRA issues would be kinda
>> cool.
>
> I'd be up for doing something similar with Tomcat.

What about wearing T-Shirts with our projects on them? So non-committers
can easily spot us, even outside of the "developer's corner".

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> +1, but....
>
> what I'd really like to drum up the energy to do is a "Come develop
> with the developers corner". In so much as I spend a decent amount of
> every ApacheCon now working on a Commons release and being able to
> pull people in and distribute out some JIRA issues would be kinda
> cool.

I'd be up for doing something similar with Tomcat.

Mark

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[Niclas had trouble sending this to the list. So here's a copy. --Jukka]

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:59:11 +0800
From: Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org>
To: community@apache.org
Subject: Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good, though I want to avoid the impression of the "Meet the
> developers" corner just containing a group of people with their backs
> turned and eyes staring at their laptop screens (which is what much of
> the hackathon area typically looks like to an outsider).

I think PMC Members in general should wear "Please, Ask me about X!!"
(X being their project) written on their backs. I think that helps the
Hackathon area a lot. If that is too hard to arrange, simple stand
"Please, Ask us about X!!" on each table is also a fairly open
invitation. I remember AC2008, it took me a while to locate people I
was looking for, and such sign would have made it a lot easier.

> Perhaps we could use this corner as a place for people to gather based
> on pre-announced time and topic, and they can then find a table where
> they can start hacking. We can put up a wiki page for that and ask
> interested people to sign up with proposed topics and times.

Yes, that sounds like reasonable as well. Each "developer" should know
when they are available, so if the time schedule is flexible at
beginning of AC, then the volunteers sets the time when they are
available, and 'audience' need to adopt (have to do that anyway).

> I'd also make the "Meet the developers" corner a hotspot for
> information on all such unofficial conference program, so that people
> could drop by there and get the latest update on what's going on. We
> could also hook this up with the @apachecon twitter account for
> sending out updates and messages like "User looking for project X
> developers, reply when you can drop by".

:-) How can I possibly survive without Twitter?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<rd...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here's an idea I came up with for the proposed Content/Web Technology
>> track in ApacheCon US 2009:
>>
>> We'd reserve and mark a table or a corner of the Hackathon area as the
>> "Meet the developers" corner where conference attendees could come and
>> meet the speakers and other project committers in a semi-organized
>> manner. The "corner" would have a wiki page where people from various
>> projects can sign up so everyone will know when they'll be there and
>> what projects they know about. This should make it easier for users
>> and other interested people to connect with the developers. The corner
>> could also be used as a place for ad-hoc demos, hands-on tutorials,
>> etc. and I'd like to ask the speakers of this track to drop by the
>> corner for 10-15 minutes after their presentation for any followup
>> questions and discussions for which there wasn't enough time earlier.
>>
>> If people like this idea, we could even expand it to cover the entire
>> conference instead of just a single track.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> +1

+1, but....

what I'd really like to drum up the energy to do is a "Come develop
with the developers corner". In so much as I spend a decent amount of
every ApacheCon now working on a Commons release and being able to
pull people in and distribute out some JIRA issues would be kinda
cool.

Hen

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@eilebrecht.net>.
Jukka Zitting wrote on 2009-05-26 15:31:40:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Ceki Gulcu <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:
> > There was however a major downside to "meet the developer"
> > corner. Each volunteering developer had to be present for several
> > arbitrarily-set hours. So, I missed a couple of presentations
> > waiting for people to show up, like a shoe seller awaiting clients.
> >  Very few people showed up.
>
> Thanks for sharing this, we certainly don't want to repeat things that
> didn't work before.

I was about to mention as well, that we did something like this at
a previous ApacheCon in Las Vegas.

One reason why it didn't work well was that the meet the developer
corner was in the expo area which was in a different room than the
Hackathon/Online lounge. We can fix that, however, I think the main
reason why it didn't work was that the "developer sessions" where
a bit too unspecific and that there was no particular topic apart
from the project itself. But then, if you advertise a particular
topic you more or less end up with a BoF ... or something you could
do as part of an unconference/barcamp session. Some kind of "moderation"
always helps to encourage attendees to join and to actually ask
questions.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht
lars@eilebrecht.net

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Ceki Gulcu <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:
> There was however a major downside to "meet the developer"
> corner. Each volunteering developer had to be present for several
> arbitrarily-set hours. So, I missed a couple of presentations waiting
> for people to show up, like a shoe seller awaiting clients.  Very few
> people showed up.

Thanks for sharing this, we certainly don't want to repeat things that
didn't work before.

How do we avoid the situation you describe? I was thinking of letting
developers choose for themselves if, when and how long they want to be
available, so at least there won't be a problem with anyone missing a
presentation they'd really like to see.

> Assuming there would be WiFi access during the conference, instead of
> the developers idly sitting around, a wiki page could be created to
> allow interested attendees and developers to prearrange a time for
> their meeting.

Good point. We can ask the attendees to also sign up on the wiki page
and indicate when they'll be dropping by and what they want to
discuss/do.

Posted by Ceki Gulcu <ce...@qos.ch>.
Hi Jukka,

The idea is not entirely new. In ApacheCon 2001, there was a "meet the
developer" corner where I met Erik Meade, the maintainer of Junit at
the time. He was interested in some log4j feature so we pair
programmed for about two hours. It was a memorable experience.

There was however a major downside to "meet the developer"
corner. Each volunteering developer had to be present for several
arbitrarily-set hours. So, I missed a couple of presentations waiting
for people to show up, like a shoe seller awaiting clients.  Very few
people showed up. I was lucky enough to meet Erik, so overall it was a
very good experience.

Assuming there would be WiFi access during the conference, instead of
the developers idly sitting around, a wiki page could be created to
allow interested attendees and developers to prearrange a time for
their meeting.

Cheers,

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
sounds good.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an idea I came up with for the proposed Content/Web Technology
> track in ApacheCon US 2009:
>
> We'd reserve and mark a table or a corner of the Hackathon area as the
> "Meet the developers" corner where conference attendees could come and
> meet the speakers and other project committers in a semi-organized
> manner. The "corner" would have a wiki page where people from various
> projects can sign up so everyone will know when they'll be there and
> what projects they know about. This should make it easier for users
> and other interested people to connect with the developers. The corner
> could also be used as a place for ad-hoc demos, hands-on tutorials,
> etc. and I'd like to ask the speakers of this track to drop by the
> corner for 10-15 minutes after their presentation for any followup
> questions and discussions for which there wasn't enough time earlier.
>
> If people like this idea, we could even expand it to cover the entire
> conference instead of just a single track.
>
> WDYT?
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Matthias Wessendorf