Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ewan Mellor <Ew...@eu.citrix.com> on 2012/07/24 23:47:46 UTC

A few new people you can contact

Hi all,

As you probably know, it was OSCON last week, and a lot of people working on CloudStack got to meet face-to-face for the first time.  It was especially good to meet with our Apache mentors and people from the other Apache projects and discuss our incubation there.  We took the chance to talk through a few of the things that need more attention since the transition to Apache - the kinds of things that are harder now that we're globally distributed and lots of different companies and people are involved.  We got some volunteers for these things, and I just wanted to introduce those people so that you know who you can contact if you need help.  You should hear more from these people in the future, and if you have questions or need help then feel free to ask them specifically.

Ahmad Emneina is going to work specifically on helping people integrate around CloudStack.  If you want to integrate something into CloudStack and you don't know where to start, then he's your man!

Edison Su's recent work on DevCloud will continue, and he'll be working on that full time so that it's as easy as possible for developers to get started with CloudStack.

And personally, I'm going to work specifically on the roadmap for the next few CloudStack releases, and so I'm going to work with the community to come up with a plan for releases and release management.  Most immediately, it is time that Apache has their first CloudStack release (the last open-source release was done by Citrix) so I'm going to get the last few issues resolved and work with the dev team to put together a release plan.  Expect to hear more from me on this topic this week, and if you have any input, then please feel free to join that thread.

Cheers,

Ewan.

--

Ewan Mellor, Director, Open-Source Engineering, Cloud Platforms, Citrix.

RE: A few new people you can contact

Posted by Ewan Mellor <Ew...@eu.citrix.com>.
The next Apache CloudStack release will be 4.0.  This will include all of the features currently in Cloud Platform's 3.0.x series, plus some re-architecting to meet Apache policy.  It's the re-architecting that's taking the time, but we're aiming for September 4 for that release, pending Apache approval for the things that we're doing.  The major version bump reflects the fact that this is the first official Apache incubated release, and is separate from the Citrix roadmap.

We have agreement on the general framework for the future roadmap, in that we want to do fixed-time releases rather than feature-driven ones, and consensus seems to be 3-4 months per release.  We don't have any idea what is going in those releases yet though -- if you're interested in joining that discussion then please do!

Once we've got the 4.0 release under control, I'm expecting to draw up a vague roadmap, and I'll encourage people to volunteer features and designs for us to fit into those slots.  I'll start a thread on that on cloudstack-dev once there's something to discuss.

Cheers,

Ewan.

Posted by Ewan Mellor <Ew...@eu.citrix.com>.

Posted by Caleb Call <ca...@me.com>.