Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Tharindu Kumara <zo...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/01 11:25:08 UTC

Sessions Expire due to Network partitioning in Zookeeper

​Recently, carried out a test to to find the behavior of clients when a
client is partitioned from the ensemble.

Here I used a ensemble of 3 zookeeper servers called A, B and C. And quorum
was set up like below.

A - Follower
B - Leader
C - Follower​

A  <---> B <---> C
   \____________/

And 3 clients are connected to ensemble like below.

C1 is connected A
C2 is connected B
C3 is connected C.

I used iptables to remove the network link between B and C.

command used: iptables -I INPUT -s 123.123.45.123 -j DROP

After removing the link connections looks like below.

A  <----> B         C
   \____________/

Simply there is no way to communicate from B to C and vice versa.

Here What I noticed is that the client connected to Zookeeper Server "C",
could not connect to the ensemble resulting a session expiration timeout.

For this experiment I used tickTime of 3000ms and client session expiration
timeout of 45000ms. And tested with different combinations also.

Can someone please explain what is the root cause for this behavior?

Re: Sessions Expire due to Network partitioning in Zookeeper

Posted by Tharindu Kumara <zo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rakesh,

Thank you so much for the reply.

The client program that I have used is a simple one which implements the
Leader Election. It creates a ephemeral node and watches it and once that
is deleted a new leader is selected.

Client Code
https://gist.github.com/tharindukumara/025c98ddbd406db34067a587c6d9533d

For this test, I deployed both the client and Server C in the same machine.

I think, you can also recreate the scenario, if you deploy the zookeeper
servers and clients as I mentioned.

This is the output of a gstack while executing the client program.

Thread 3 (Thread 0x7fa5a7a2d700 (LWP 9057)):
#0  0x00007fa5a7d27c1d in poll () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007fa5a88a34d8 in copy_watchers (clone=<optimized out>,
to=0x118e3b0, from=<optimized out>) at src/zk_hashtable.c:233
#2  add_for_event (ht=<optimized out>, path=<optimized out>,
list=<optimized out>) at src/zk_hashtable.c:265
#3  0x00007fa5a7c460f0 in __sched_getparam@got.plt () from
/lib64/libpthread.so.0
#4  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
Thread 2 (Thread 0x7fa5a722c700 (LWP 9058)):
#0  0x00007fa5a7a3a05f in pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from
/lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00007fa5a88a3686 in destroy_zk_hashtable (ht=0x118e514) at
src/zk_hashtable.c:143
#2  0x000000000118e3b0 in ?? ()
#3  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
Thread 1 (Thread 0x7fa5a8cad740 (LWP 9056)):
#0  0x00007fa5a7d01ded in nanosleep () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007fa5a7d01c84 in sleep () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#2  0x000000000040213c in main ()

Can you please give me a proper reason for this scenario?

To me it looks like when the client connects to server B, it initiates a
blocking call to Server B. And since the port is open to communicate it
waits on it too much time.

Thanks
Tharindu

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@apache.org>.