Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Joseph Naegele <jn...@grierforensics.com> on 2017/02/10 16:30:06 UTC

SQL warehouse dir

Hi all,

I've read the docs for Spark SQL 2.1.0 but I'm still having issues with the warehouse and related details.

I'm not using Hive proper, so my hive-site.xml consists only of:

     <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
<value>jdbc:derby:;databaseName=/mnt/data/spark/metastore_db;create=true</value>

I've set "spark.sql.warehouse.dir" in my "spark-defaults.conf", however the location in my catalog doesn't match:

scala> spark.conf.get("spark.sql.warehouse.dir")
res8: String = file://mnt/data/spark/warehouse

scala> spark.conf.get("hive.metastore.warehouse.dir")
res9: String = file://mnt/data/spark/warehouse

scala> spark.catalog.listDatabases.show(false)
+-------+---------------------+-----------------------------+
|name   |description          |locationUri |
+-------+---------------------+-----------------------------+
|default|Default Hive database|file:/home/me/spark-warehouse|

I've also tried setting "spark.sql.warehouse.dir" to a valid HDFS path to no avail.

My application loads both ORC tables and AVRO files (using spark-avro) from HDFS.
When I load a table using spark.sql("select * from orc.`my-table-in-hdfs`"), I see WARN ObjectStore: Failed to get database orc, returning NoSuchObjectException.
When I load an AVRO file from HDFS using spark.read.avro(filename) , I see WARN DataSource: Error while looking for metadata directory.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

--
Joe Naegele
Grier Forensics