Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com> on 2002/02/08 07:37:45 UTC

More Experimental 1.6 Release questions

1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?

given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part of
this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one box, i
am sorta stuck.

if the answer is i dunno, that's fine. i'll try it and report back. if the
answer is that it cant work for some reason, then that's good to know,
cause then i gotta come up with a new plan. :-)

2. i am trying to make the schema for my application be the normative
reference for both the data input *and* for the UI.

so, if i have 3 elements in my schema named foo, bar and baz, i want to
have a ui that references/incorporates foo, bar and baz. and when we
change the name of baz to snert, i dont want to have to recode the ui.

so, in xerces-j i could pick the thing apart using
org.apache.xerces.dom3.as.

but DOM3 isnt implemented in xerces-c/p yet. correct?

so, what's the old fashioned DOM2 way to pick apart the schema? I note
that XMLValidator has a getGrammar that returns a Grammar object, but i
dont see the definition of a Grammar in the class docs. is a Grammar a DOM
of the schema? if i am barking up the wrong tree with Grammar (oh, bad,
inadvertent, geek pun....), what data structure should i be looking at to
snag the element descriptions out of?

tnx!

johnu

Re: More Experimental 1.6 Release questions

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.
Wow, this has been some great info!

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, David Starks-Browning wrote:

> On  8 Feb 02, Jason E. Stewart writes:
> > "John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:
> >
> > > 1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
> > > the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?
> > > given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part
> > > of this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one
> > > box, i am sorta stuck.
> >
> > I am led to believe that it is now possible to compile Xerces-C on
> > cygwin. Once upon a time it was not.
> >
> > However, if you compile Xerces under cygwin wit g++, you'll have to
> > compile perl with g++ as well - there's no standard ABI for C++, so
> > all your code has to be compiled using the same compiler. ActiveState
> > uses VC++.

blargh. that's a pretty vital fact i suspect. :-(. The app that i am
working with (Virage Video Application Server) actually makes heavy use of
perl but i dont know if they are linking in native bits somewhere. i'll
have to do some spelunking. if they dont have some special virage native
interface pm's then i am probably ok.

> Cygwin Setup now (optionally) includes perl.  Presumably you'd have
> better chance of success with that.  I haven't tried it myself.  Our
> four unix platforms is challenging enough for me at the moment...

oh duh. that's right. i installed that! and now i've installed
activestate as well.  great! :-(. i wish i had thought of that when i was
installing the virage stuff.

Posted by David Starks-Browning <st...@ebi.ac.uk>.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:

> 1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
> the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?
> given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part
> of this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one
> box, i am sorta stuck.

I am led to believe that it is now possible to compile Xerces-C on
cygwin. Once upon a time it was not.

However, if you compile Xerces under cygwin wit g++, you'll have to
compile perl with g++ as well - there's no standard ABI for C++, so
all your code has to be compiled using the same compiler. ActiveState
uses VC++.

> 2. i am trying to make the schema for my application be the normative
> reference for both the data input *and* for the UI.
>
> so, if i have 3 elements in my schema named foo, bar and baz, i want to
> have a ui that references/incorporates foo, bar and baz. and when we
> change the name of baz to snert, i dont want to have to recode the ui.
>
> so, in xerces-j i could pick the thing apart using
> org.apache.xerces.dom3.as.
>
> but DOM3 isnt implemented in xerces-c/p yet. correct?

Correct.

> so, what's the old fashioned DOM2 way to pick apart the schema? I note
> that XMLValidator has a getGrammar that returns a Grammar object, but i
> dont see the definition of a Grammar in the class docs. is a Grammar a DOM
> of the schema? if i am barking up the wrong tree with Grammar (oh, bad,
> inadvertent, geek pun....), what data structure should i be looking at to
> snag the element descriptions out of?

With DTD's it was very hard to get at this information. Every answer I
ever got was: wait for DOM3 support. It might be easier now with
schemas, but I wouldn't hold my breath. However, this question is best
asked on the xerces-c-dev list, since I really don't know the answer.

jas.