Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lisa Foister <lf...@voyagertec.com> on 2003/06/20 17:22:01 UTC

Upgrade or new install?

I'm currently running Tomcat 4.1.18 and mySQL 3.23.54 on Red Hat 8.0.  I
haven't installed any connectors, and although I am running Tomcat on port
8080, I'm not currently running Apache (Tomcat provides all the web server
I really need).  This is really a learning/development system on my home
network, and unless some hacker has singled me out and cracked my password,
I'm the only person who ever uses the machine.  I am also a Linux novice,
so it's a bit more difficult for me to figure out installs, etc. than it
would be for someone with a bit more experience.

I need to install an application onto this machine for work, and have been
told that it requires Tomcat 4.1.24 and mySQL 4.0.13, along with the mySQL
connector 3.0.8.

Would it be easier/better for me to try to upgrade the versions of Tomcat
and mySQL that I have, install the new versions in their own directory and
just ignore the old ones, or delete the old ones entirely before installing
the new ones from scratch?  Also, when I installed Tomcat 4.1.18, I did it
from RPM and later discovered all kinds of "special features" (non-standard
setups, standard directories missing, etc.).  Would it be better for me to
use a more generic install?  Backing up the few projects I have under the
Tomcat directory, and the mySQL databases I've been playing around with,
isn't a problem -- there really isn't all that much there, and they're easy
to restore to the appropriate places.

I'm looking for how to achieve the goal (Tomcat 4.1.24 connected to mySQL
4.0.13) with the least amount of frustration possible for a Linux novice. I
don't really care if it's the most efficient way, as long as it's clear and
hard to screw up.

Thanks,

Lisa

Re: Upgrade or new install?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Hello -

I can't really address your questions relating to MySQL, but I can help you
out relating to Tomcat.

In my opinion, this is how I would proceed given your situation:

- stop Tomcat 4.1.18.  Make sure it doesn't start on boot by removing the
tomcat startup script from the boot sequence (we can help you on this if
you need it)

- download the binary install of the latest JDK.  Unpack it, move it to a
reasonable location, and set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to its
location

- download the binary install of Tomcat 4.1.24.  Unpack it, move it to a
reasonable location, like /usr/local/tomcat-4124, and set the CATALINA_HOME
environment variable to its location

- upgrade your MySQL (not sure on the best way to suggest you do this)

- get the latest MySQL JDBC driver, or the one that is compatible with
MySQL 4.0.13, copy the .jar file to CATALINA_HOME/tomcat/common/lib

My HOWTOs describe steps 2 and 3 above:  http://www.johnturner.com/howto.
The version numbers for the JDK and Tomcat  are a little old, but the steps
are the same.  Ignore the sections on installing Apache and installing a
Connector.

Then, to start Tomcat, all you would do is use
"$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh" from the command line.  You might consider
changing server.xml to use port 80 instead of 8080 to make things "easier".

HTH

John