Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Restorff <ch...@criticalwatch.com> on 2012/02/07 21:01:47 UTC

Question regarding mappings for CVE-2005-4836

Hello,

I have a question regarding CVE-2005-4836:
http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2005-4836

The security bulletin, http://tomcat.apache.org/security-4.html,
mentions that it will not be fixed in 4.x. However, there is no
indication as to whether it affects 5.x or beyond. Is this issue
persistent in the 5, 6, and 7 versions? If not, which versions are not
affected.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sorry if this is a repost. I think I sent it to the wrong address and
never got any responses/confirmation that it went through.

Re: Question regarding mappings for CVE-2005-4836

Posted by Christopher Restorff <ch...@criticalwatch.com>.
> If you carefully read the security report for Tomcat 4, you'll see
> that the bug exists in a deprecated connector. If you are using the
> standard Coyote connector, then you are safe.
>
> For completeness, these are the connectors that are vulnerable to this
> issue:
> org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector
> org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector
>
> Neither of these classes are included in the current 5.5 line
> (5.5.35), nor are they included in the current 6.0 line (6.0.35), nor
> are they included in the current 7.0 line (7.0.25).
>
> If you are using a currently-supported version of Tomcat and you are
> up to date, then you are not vulnerable to this ancient vulnerability.
Thanks! That was the information I needed. I was unable to find the
information on which connectors and was at a lost. I've now looked into
them.

Thank you both Chris and Leon for your help.

Re: Question regarding mappings for CVE-2005-4836

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Question regarding mappings for CVE-2005-4836

Posted by "Au, Leon" <le...@amazon.com>.
On 2/7/12 12:01 PM, "Christopher Restorff"
<ch...@criticalwatch.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a question regarding CVE-2005-4836:
>http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2005-4836
>
>The security bulletin, http://tomcat.apache.org/security-4.html,
>mentions that it will not be fixed in 4.x. However, there is no
>indication as to whether it affects 5.x or beyond. Is this issue
>persistent in the 5, 6, and 7 versions? If not, which versions are not
>affected.

The link that you posted has a section on vulnerable software and
versions.  My guess is that it has the complete list of all versions
affected.

Leon