Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sophie Ramel <so...@tudor.lu> on 2000/09/15 15:15:20 UTC

image format for fo:external-graphic

hi,

Does someone know which image formats are supported by the fo
specification and by FOP ?
I could find neither.
Only gif and jpg seemed to work, but I was looking for a format with no
resolution limitiation like for gif, and looking good even for text
(which doesn't seem to be the case with jpg, even if I optimize the
quality: perhaps this is not a problem of image format but of FOP or
PDF?)

thanks,

Sophie Ramel

Re: image format for fo:external-graphic

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.
Sophie Ramel writes:
 > Does someone know which image formats are supported by the fo
 > specification
it has nothing to say on the subject

 >  and by FOP ?
changing a lot at present, more being added

 > Only gif and jpg seemed to work, but I was looking for a format with no
 > resolution limitiation like for gif
what do you mean by "limitation"?

perhaps you should be looking at PNG

 >  and looking good even for text
 > (which doesn't seem to be the case with jpg, even if I optimize the
 > quality

JPEG is never recommended for textual material. the best format for
textual figures is PDF or PS, neither of which FOP supports (yet; it
probably will support PDF one day?).

PassiveTeX demonstrates how an XSL formatter can have PDF image
inclusion, fwiw

Sebastian