Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2006/02/24 18:13:01 UTC

Security module layout

Hi,

Earlier on today I spent some time following the instructions for
developing Harmony Java code inside Eclipse [1]. After experimenting
with archive, luni and nio I decided to check out modules/security and
found that, in its current form, it can't be brought into an Eclipse
workspace and used like the other modules. One obvious difference is
that it doesn't have any Eclipse project metadata in there (e.g.
.project and .classpath files). After adding these in (in my private
workspace), I began to look at other differences between security and
its peer modules in particular the difference in source layouts.
Recalling some ideas for layouts that have been kicked around this list,
I started to move things around a little to try and make things a little
more uniform with respect to those peer modules. Things were made more
interesting by virtue of the following security module distinctions :

* it has platform-specific Java code
* it contains native code for both Windows and Linux

Eventually I arrived at a structure that is more attuned to the other
modules in the repository. As a bonus, Eclipse pointed out several
missing import entries from the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file - including
one that cannot presently be satisfied with what is in the Harmony
repository (org.apache.harmony.security.test.SecurityTest wants to
import java.util.logging.LoggingPermission which doesn't exist in the
repository - although an implementation has been contributed [2]).

In addition to moving source around, I also made the necessary tweaks to
the Ant scripts contained in the security module plus the "top level"
Java build file trunk/make/build-java.xml so the Ant builds still work
as before.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the next bit of this note renders
alright in your mail client, here is the modules/security structure that
I ended up with (minus all of the package sub-folders for clarity) :

  <SECURITY ROOT>

        +---src
        |   |
        |   +---main
        |   |   |
        |   |   +---java
        |   |   |   |
        |   |   |   +---common
        |   |   |   |
        |   |   |   +---linux.IA32
        |   |   |   |
        |   |   |   \---win.IA32
        |   |   |
        |   |   +---native
        |   |   |   |
        |   |   |   +---linux.IA32
        |   |   |   |
        |   |   |   \---win.IA32
        |   |   |
        |   |   \---resources
        |   |       |
        |   |       \---common
        |   |
        |   +---test
        |       |
        |       +---java
        |           |
        |           +---common
        |           |
        |           +---linux.IA32
        |           |
        |           \---win.IA32

        +---doc
        |   |
        |   \---images

        +---make
        |   |
        |   \---native
        |       |
        |       +---linux
        |       |
        |       \---windows

        +---META-INF

All of the leaf folders under "src" have been declared to Eclipse as
source folders (i.e. I have 9 source folders called
"src/main/java/common", "src/main/resources/common",
"src/main/native/linux.IA32", "src/test/java/common" and so on...).

I would be really keen to hear what people think of this prototype
re-structuring. It would be great if we could make the security module
as simple to work with inside Eclipse as the other modules are.

Best regards,
George
IBM UK

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/dev_eclipse.html

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
catchup after long week...

George Harley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Earlier on today I spent some time following the instructions for
> developing Harmony Java code inside Eclipse [1]. After experimenting
> with archive, luni and nio I decided to check out modules/security and
> found that, in its current form, it can't be brought into an Eclipse
> workspace and used like the other modules. One obvious difference is
> that it doesn't have any Eclipse project metadata in there (e.g.
> .project and .classpath files).

Easy to fix, although it's generally a convention in the OSS projects
I've worked in not to have that sort of IDE-specific junk in the
project, as we want people to be free to use whatever they want to use.

  After adding these in (in my private
> workspace), I began to look at other differences between security and
> its peer modules in particular the difference in source layouts.
> Recalling some ideas for layouts that have been kicked around this list,
> I started to move things around a little to try and make things a little
> more uniform with respect to those peer modules. Things were made more
> interesting by virtue of the following security module distinctions :
>
> * it has platform-specific Java code
> * it contains native code for both Windows and Linux

Right, which is something I believe we want to do to the other modules,
move the native code inside each module.

[snip]

> In addition to moving source around, I also made the necessary tweaks to
> the Ant scripts contained in the security module plus the "top level"
> Java build file trunk/make/build-java.xml so the Ant builds still work
> as before.

That would be expected, yes :)

[snip]

> I would be really keen to hear what people think of this prototype
> re-structuring. It would be great if we could make the security module
> as simple to work with inside Eclipse as the other modules are.

I'm all for making things work inside eclipse as long as the Eclipse
tail doesn't wag the dog, and make us do things that favor eclipse over
people who do command-line oriented build/test, or other IDEs and editors.

I'll comment on the structure in your next message - (that's got to be
the only advantage for going silent for a few days, being able to look
down the thread...)

geir

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Great!

Re: Security module layout

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Stepan,

Thanks for raising this. I agree with you that accomplishing the
separate goals of HARMONY-95 and HARMONY-147 would probably be easier if
security was first moved to the new layout (assuming it gets the
blessing of the committers) before auth gets separated out.

Best regards,
George
IBM UK

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Security module layout

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi George

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: Security module layout

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi George

actually the native code we have in security should work on both
IA32 and IPF

So, it seems that with your suggestion we will have to have
two copies of that code. Please correct me if I'm wrong

What is about the following str:

+-win/
|  |
|  +--IA32/
|  |
|  +--IPF/
|  |
|  +-- common1.cpp
|  |
|  +-- common2.cpp
|  |

Mikhail

Re: Security module layout

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>
>> Hi George,
>>
>> why e.g. 'win.IA32' not just 'win'?
>>

> Because there will be a posix.apr that will do the portable part ;-)
> Correct me if I am wrong.

...er...well, I'm not sure that it was foremost in my thoughts when I
was working through the layout changes :-)

I simply wanted to have a way of differentiating between code written
for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows on Intel architecture. I am assuming that
the Windows code there today is for 32 bit. I did wonder about splitting
those directory names up so that instead of a folder called "win.IA32"
we had a "win" folder with a "IA32" sub-folder (and likewise for Linux).
i.e.

java

 +-common

 +-win
 |  |
 |  \---IA32

 +-linux
 |  |

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Re: Security module layout

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi George,

why e.g. 'win.IA32' not just 'win'?

Re: Security module layout

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Redrawing the proposed layout as it didn't render quite correctly for me
when I read over the sent note (sigh).

   <SECURITY ROOT>

         +---src
         |   |