Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 15:00:37 UTC

[VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Please vote to release the M3 distribution of Tuscany SDO for Java

The release candidate RC2 for Tuscany Java SDO is posted here ....
http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/M3/RC2/
<http://people.apache.org/%7Ekelvingoodson/sdo_java/M3/RC2/>The release
audit tool (rat) files and associated exceptions are attached to the jira
under which the release work was done, here ....
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1171<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1171>
The tag for the source code is here .....
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubator-M3/<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubator-M3/>
Changes in this release are shown here .....
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubator-M3/sdo/distribution/RELEASE_NOTES.txt<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sdo/1.0-incubator-M3/sdo/distribution/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>

Thanks in advance,
Kelvin.

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Haleh,

comments inline ...

On 13/04/07, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kelvin,
>
> I tried: tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3-bin.zip - ZIP archive, unpacked size
> 15,444,127 bytes
>
>    - ReleaseNotes.txt says: Compatibility Concerns
>      M2 now uses the SDO 2.1 interfaces whereas M2 used the
> 2.0.1interfaces.
>
>              Shouldn't this be M3 now uses...

Good spot ... thanks

   - C:\TuscanySDO\tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3\readme.html

>            This includes a link to M2 samples under this statement "
>
> Sample source code is available to
> download<http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/sdo-java-download.html>as a
> separate distribution to accompany this binary distribution. Download
> and unpack a suitable archive and follow the instructions in the archive
> build and run the samples.'

yes,  that's right,  the page also includes the M1 downloads, and after we
have a successful vote it will include the M3 downloads

   - This file C:\TuscanySDO\tuscany-

> sdo-1.0-incubator-M3\sdo\sample\src\main\java\org\apache\tuscany\samples\sdo\overview.htmlsays
> :To run these samples against the current Tuscany codebase, follow the
>    instructions at Tuscany SDO Java
> Overview<http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/sdo-java.html>,
>    which describes how to build Tuscany SDO for Java in an Eclipse SDK
>    environment.
>
>            However at this page I see no  instructions. Should this be the
> getInvolved link under development?

yes,  this is a problem with the brittleness of including these links and
then changing the location/semantics of the info.  I'll look into it

I ran into problems running the samples. I'll give it  another try again
> tomorrow.

OK,  thanks or your efforts in helping this along

Kelvin.

Haleh

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Haleh,
  thanks for this,  It would appear that the documentation was wrong in M2
too.  I'll fix this.
Regards, Kelvin.

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kelvin,

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Ant,

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I think that it probably is technically alright to include third-party
code with that license as source code in our SVN, so i guess this isn't a
release blocker. But if feels quite odd to me have the entire Tuscany SDO
API code like this, why couldn't this be the same as our SCA APIs where
we've just coded them up ourselves using the Apache license? Or else have
OSOA release the code themselves? Or donate them to Apache?

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

On 12/04/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More comments inline...
>
> On 4/12/07, kelvin goodson < kelvin@thegoodsons.org.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> - The src distro has no LICENSE or NOTICE in top level directory (they are
> > there in sdo-api directory)
> >
> > this is the anomaly that I pointed  out in the last release cycle in
> > response to the requirement that each of the archives unpacks into a single
> > root folder -- any commonly named files required to be in the root folder
> > would overwrite one another,  hence their appearance in the next level
> > down.  We can not satisfy both requirements!  Hence for each archive I was
> > considering <common-root>/<specific-distro-root> to be the "root" folder
>

> Must all the archives unpack into a single root folder?

that was what the comments from the IPMC ratification led me to believe was
best practice from the comments on the M2 release

- The sdo-api src files don't have an Apache License header and include a
> > non-ASF copyright - has this been discussed before, can we do this?
> > This was as it was in M2 and M1.  I followed the established pattern.  I
> > beleive this to be correct.
>

> That we got away with it in M1 and M2 may have just been an oversight
> which is why I asked if  there had been any discussion about it. I don't
> remember any discussion. This doesn't seem correct to me, the sca-api files
> have the ASF header and not any OSOA copyright, why are the sdo-api's
> different? Didn't we develop all this code in Tuscany? The LICENSE in the
> sdo-api jar says its under ASL. I think these need to be fixed or at least a
> clear explanation found why its ok like this.

The code in the API source distribution archive is not developed in Tuscany
(apart from things like the HelperProvider implementation which has an ASF
license header).  I believe I recall checking that this was the correct way
to do things in M2.  I'll have to retrace my steps to verify this.

 - There are no SDO artifact jars to review, are the SDO jars going to be
> > installed to the Apache maven repository?
> > The jars are in the binary distribution in the lib folder
>

> I think they need to be separate so we can review the exact artifacts that
> will be deployed to the maven repository including all the pom and
> maven-metadata xml files along with the associated checksums and signatures.

this is different from the last release cycle, and I can't see any guidance
in the apache release management docs to this effect

- Is there a reason the bin distro unzips to
tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3whereas all the other distro's
(impl/samples/src) unzip to
> > tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3/sdo?
> > the binary archive is the result of maven's default "best practice",
> > the other archives are so in order to meet the above referenced requirement
> > to unpack in to a common root directory.  I guess I could add a bin
> > directory to the binary distribution,  but I think for the most part people
> > will be downloading either the binary distro (perhaps with the samples) or
> > the source distros.  It would be odd to bury the binary distro deeper I
> > think,  but your suggestions are very welcome.
>

> As above, must all the archives unpack into a single root folder? I think
> some of the reviewers of other IPMC releases have said they actually prefer
> using separate folders.

Well I certainly took it as a todo from the last release cycle to arrange
them the way I have done.

- I find all the distro's and contents a bit confusing - javadoc is included
> > in the bin, src and samples distros, samples are included in the samples,
> > src, and impl distro, what is the impl distro? i
> >
> > there's no javadoc in the src distros,  the javadoc in the samples
> > distros is for the samples,  the javadoc in the bin distro is for the API to
> > assist in programming.  This was how the discussion on archive organisation
> > resolved in M2.
>

> Ok yes, that must have been a problem with things unpacking into the same
> folder :) But still, javadoc is included in the bin and samples distros, the
> samples are included in the samples and impl distros, and there are two src
> distro's. Which isn't exactly straight forward. I guess none of this is a
> blocker for this release, but in SCA we've now moved the sca-api module
> under the sca folder, maybe the same should happen for SDO and then the next
> release could be:
>  - a single src distribution that includes src for everything
>  - a binary distro that includes the binary jar's, the dependency jars,
> the javadoc, and the samples
>  - the sdo api and impl jars deployed to the maven repo

 As i said in my earlier response,  javadoc for how to use the binary
artifacts is included in the binary distribution, and javadoc for how to use
the samples is included in the samples distribution.  I will look at the
reorganisation you have done for SCA and see if this is the right thing for
SDO,  I suspect it is.  So the one remaining issue is that the sample code
is distributed twice,  once in the source distro and one separately.  This
is as a result of discussions/feedback about the M2 release, where it was
requested that users of a binary distribution could go fetch the sample
source separately, and run it against the binaries.  I guess you have sample
_source_ in your binary distro?  I'll take a look again and see what/how you
have done this.

Kelvin

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
More comments inline...

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I've a had a look and have some comments and questions.

- The samples distro has no LICENSE or NOTICE files

- The src distro has no LICENSE or NOTICE in top level directory (they are
there in sdo-api directory)

- The sdo-api src files don't have an Apache License header and include a
non-ASF copyright - has this been discussed before, can we do this?

- There are no SDO artifact jars to review, are the SDO jars going to be
installed to the Apache maven repository?

- LICENSE files refer to 2.2.1 releases of the EMF components not 2.2.2release.

- Is there a reason the bin distro unzips to
tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3whereas all the other distro's
(impl/samples/src) unzip to
tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3/sdo?

- I find all the distro's and contents a bit confusing - javadoc is included
in the bin, src and samples distros, samples are included in the samples,
src, and impl distro, what is the impl distro?

- I wasn't sure what to do with all the sdo-api src included at
http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/M3/RC2/api/tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubator-M3/
?

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] SDO Java Release M3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your feedback on RC2. I have created a new release candidate
on the basis of the comments I have received.  I'll close this vote and see
how we get on with this next RC before starting another vote.

RC3 is at http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/M3/RC3/
the tag, rat reports, and release notes remain the same as they were for the
start note of this thread.

For this iteration I have, fixed all the small typos and inaccuracies that
were pointed out in the README, LICENSE and samples documentation.  I've
also made sure the jar names are all consistent and rearranged the structure
of the samples archive a little,  including putting the correct javadoc in
that archive.  This slip caused me to build a script  for creating the
distribution  (
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12355518/buildSDORelease.bat)

The issue I haven't addressed yet is whether I should be publishing the
artifacts to the maven repo right now,  or when I start a new vote,  or when
that vote is completed.  Ant sent me some links to discussion threads from
other projects that have been  coming up against this issue,  which I'll
digest as soon as I can.  For your ref they are ...
http://marc.info/?t=117607058700003&r=1&w=2
**http://marc.info/?l=incubator-general&m=117606976901938&w=2

Regards, Kelvin.