Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> on 2015/03/05 20:46:35 UTC

Remove ant build?

Based on discussions on the users lists, it looks like our ant build doesn’t actually produce working builds of PDFBox. I think we should remove the ant build in 2.0, we don’t need two build systems, and clearly none of us are maintaining it.

WDYT?

— John

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 06.03.2015 um 13:59 schrieb Daniel Wilson:
> If there's interest in continuing to support the ant build, at least in the
> interest of the IKVM version, I would be happy to merge my build file
> changes back.

There have been people asking about IKVM on the mailing list or on
stackoverflow from time to time. One problem is that there is no
official IKVM build, and the inoffcial build (by Andreas) is outdated.

Tilman

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
That TestPDFToImage is excluded by default makes sense for the reasons
stated.  I love the improvements you've made to it, though!  I knew when I
added it so many years ago that there had to be a better way to compare the
images than I was doing, but I couldn't find it.

And it has been several years since I've been an active committer.  It
wasn't too long after the project came over from SourceForge to Apache that
it was doing well enough that my employer didn't want to pay me for more
work on it.  And ... I didn't get to it much on my own time.

Now, I built version 2.0.0 (trunk) to a JAR yesterday using ant.  With a
bit of manual fetching of dependencies, that worked pretty well.  And maybe
if I'd understood the maven actions within the ant build file better, I
could have tweaked it to get it to do it automaticly.  It really looks like
it's very close to being correct.

In January, I built version 1.8.8 to .Net using IKVM 7.4.  Actually ...
using my own fork of IKVM v7.4, not because I needed to add stuff to IKVM
to get the build but because I needed it to run my subclassed PageDrawer
later on.  My fork is at https://github.com/BlackLocust/ikvm/tree/v7.4 and
it really has minimal changes from standard IKVM 7.4.

Because you have made so many rendering improvements in 2.0, I am working
now on getting it to compile using IKVM.  Subclassing PageDrawer is what's
not supported ... so ... I'll be making more changes to my IKVM fork to be
able to render in .Net.

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
That would of course be the best, as it would mean only one build
system, and still allow to create an IKVM-flavoured target if needed.

Tilman

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Excellent!  I'm working on it and on some instructions regarding what
plugin to add and how to configure it.

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 7 Mar 2015, at 14:48, Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So if I were to try to get Maven to build for IKVM, would you see some
> value in that?

Definitely.

— John

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 07.03.2015 um 23:48 schrieb Daniel Wilson:
> So if I were to try to get Maven to build for IKVM, would you see some value in
> that?
That would be the best solution.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 05.03.2015 um 23:16 schrieb Daniel Wilson:
> Yes, it is needed for IKVM.  But I was just informed that the IKVM build is
> considered an unsupported 3rd-party version.
>
> As far as I can tell, it is also needed for the TestPDFToImage junit test.
> That is the testimage target in the ant build.

The TestPDFToImage is excluded from the build, probably because it
produces different results depending on the java version, installed
fonts, etc. However I have been using the test for quite some time to
find regressions, and made many improvements in it in the trunk (for
example, a diff image is produced). I currently have (locally) 480 PDF
files and their renderings. It is the most important regression testing
tool for rendering. It has detected many regessions.

Re IKVM - I don't remember any decision that it is no longer supported.
It's rather that (apparently) none of the very active committers uses it.

> Btw, I DID get the ant build to produce a working version of PDFBox
> yesterday.  I simply needed to download the appropriate binaries from the
> maven repo.

Shouldn't there be some appropriate error message? Btw what version did
work yesterday - the 1.8 or the 2.0 version? The person having the
problems was using 2.0. But he wasn't using IKVM.

Tilman

Re: Remove ant build?

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Remove ant build?