Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Alexandre Fouche <al...@cleverscale.com> on 2012/12/06 14:24:21 UTC

Hive parallel execution deadlocks, need restart of yarn-nodemanager

Is there a known deadlock issue or bug when using Hive parallel execution with more parallel hive threads than there are computing nodemanagers ?

On my test cluster, i have set Hive parallel excution to 2 or 3 threads, and have only 1 computing nodemanager with 5 cpu cores.

When i run a hive request with a lot of unions that decomposes in a lot of jobs to be executed in parallel, after a few jobs done, it always endup deadlocking on 0% at mapping for all parallel jobs (from Hive0server2 logs). If i restart hadoop-yarn-nodemanager on the nodemanager server, Hive gets out of its deadlock and continues, until getting deadlocked a bit later again.

Alex

Re: Hive parallel execution deadlocks, need restart of yarn-nodemanager

Posted by Alexandre Fouche <al...@cleverscale.com>.
Ah i see, i had missed the fact that each MR jobs had an ApplicationManager that was taking a container, there were none free to run mappers (my jobs usually have only one mapper due to small input data). I understood that thanks to your explanations and using more nodes with a greater concurrency, and like before all containers were running an ApplicationManager !

Thank you very much !

--
Alexandre Fouche
Lead operations engineer, cloud architect

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.