Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rascle <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2011/05/30 20:22:29 UTC

Security Issues

Hi,
I have 3 computers connected to a wireless router. One of the computers is
used solely as a server which will be used to access some files. The other 2
computers are personal and I dont want anyone to have access to. I am using
Apache HTTP web server on my server computer and intend to open the Port 80
on the wireless router, however I am wondering if this will lead to any
extra risk towards the 2 personal computers or if it is only the server
which is at risk?
Obviously I understand that any computer connected to the internet can be
hacked into etc, however by opening my Port 80 on the wireless router, as
well as using a server, will this lead to an increased risk?
Thanks
Rhys

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 30.05.2011 20:22, schrieb rascle:
> I am wondering if this will lead to any
> extra risk towards the 2 personal computers
> or if it is only the server which is at risk?

if you forward port 80 only to the server the other machines
are not affected as long nobody hacks your server and gets full
control to use it for attackes to the other machines

> Obviously I understand that any computer connected to the internet can be
> hacked into etc, however by opening my Port 80 on the wireless router, as
> well as using a server, will this lead to an increased risk?

if tehre are only static files and you know what you do while configuring
your webserver it should be safe, if CGI/PHP and any other danamisc content
is used you have the same problems as every admin holding all components
on the latest patch-level and hope there are no crappy scripts