Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Stefan Schmidt <sc...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/04 04:06:04 UTC

Geronimo startup problems

Hi,

I am currently trying to get WS Security with WSS4J running on Geronimo.
There are some problems (see Jira 975) I encountered on the way which is
why I asked Werner D. from the WSS4J project to try my code on Geronimo.

Now here are some interesting things that Werner encountered during his
first G installation (I am just forwarding his information to the dev list):

Quote:

on my system (SuSE 9.2, X86_64 Architecture, AMD Athlon 64, 1GB)
Geronimo does not start. It hangs at 32%, no deploy of war files
is possible. The Java is a 1.4.2_07, all other Java based systems
are up and running (Eclipse and others)

This is the message I see during startup of Geronimo:

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_07)...
Starting Geronimo Application Server
[**>    ] 32% 319s Starting org/apache/geronimo/Server

Nothing more. I need to kill (or ^C) the stuff.

Seems to be a quite unstable thing up to now.

Next email quote:
* My etc/hosts file contained an entry with my system name "Linux" that
  had a wrong IP address. Because I have a DSL Internet connection the
  IP address often changes, I just forgot to update it in the etc/hosts.
  (I need this entry with the real/active IP address for other programs)

* When my Internet connetion is up Geronimo wouldn't start (hangs at
  32%, see attached logfile). This may be due to the firewall because
  wrong IP addresses are blocked.

* I stopped my Internet connection. This time Geronimo starts but with
  several messages that reports:

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_07)...
Starting Geronimo Application Server
[**>    ] 32%   3s Starting org/apache/geronimo/Server
09:32:12,938 WARN
[server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEModule=org/apache/geronimo/Server,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=GBean,name=JMXService]
Error stopping JMXConnector after failure
java.io.IOException: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception
is java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to:
84.152.97.132; nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable]
        at mx4j.remote.resolver.rmi.Resolver.unbindServer(Resolver.java:279)
....may other stackdump messages ...

* Then I removed the wrong entry from etc/hosts completely. The start
  of Geronimo gives an exeception message on the console:

19 WARN  [IdGenerator] could not generate unique stub
java.net.UnknownHostException: linux: linux
        at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)
        at org.activemq.util.IdGenerator.<clinit>(IdGenerator.java:54)
        at
org.activemq.broker.impl.AdvisorySupport.<init>(AdvisorySupport.java:53)
....may other stackdump messages ...

* The I inserted the the entry again, this time with my current and
  valid IP address. If the Internet connection is up Geronimo starts
  without any complaints.

Thus it seems that Geronimo has some issues if the etc/hosts file either
does not contain an entry with the system's name, or if this entry has
a wrong/inactive IP address.

At least I managed to get it up. I'll see if I can dig into the
real problem now.

I've gathered  most of the outputs in log files and copies from the
console. Thus if you need additional info I can forward it to you.

I thought that this might be of interest to the dev-list. I think that
if Geronimo fails to start and hangs at 32% there sould be at least a
message which indicates a reason for this behaviour - otherwise
first-time users are left in the dark :-) . I cannot tell much more
about the other errors but we can ask Werner for his logs to get more info.

Regards,

Stefan Schmidt

Re: Geronimo startup problems

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Stefan,

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-a084eef78c0b336b8f474cc9d08f83e7d73423c8

> * My etc/hosts file contained an entry with my system name "Linux" that
>  had a wrong IP address. Because I have a DSL Internet connection the
>  IP address often changes, I just forgot to update it in the etc/hosts.
>  (I need this entry with the real/active IP address for other programs)

It has nothing to do with Geronimo. It's a network configuration stuff
*and* certainly will interfere with any program that establishes network
connections, and so will with Geronimo.

> * When my Internet connetion is up Geronimo wouldn't start (hangs at
>  32%, see attached logfile). This may be due to the firewall because
>  wrong IP addresses are blocked.

See above.

> * I stopped my Internet connection. This time Geronimo starts but with
>  several messages that reports:
>
> Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_07)...
> Starting Geronimo Application Server
> [**>    ] 32%   3s Starting org/apache/geronimo/Server
> 09:32:12,938 WARN
> [server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEModule=org/apache/geronimo/Server,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=GBean,name=JMXService]
>
> Error stopping JMXConnector after failure
> java.io.IOException: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception
> is java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to:
> 84.152.97.132; nested exception is:
>        java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable]
>        at mx4j.remote.resolver.rmi.Resolver.unbindServer(Resolver.java:279)
> ....may other stackdump messages ...

See above.

> * Then I removed the wrong entry from etc/hosts completely. The start
>  of Geronimo gives an exeception message on the console:
>
> 19 WARN  [IdGenerator] could not generate unique stub
> java.net.UnknownHostException: linux: linux
>        at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)

See above :)

> Thus it seems that Geronimo has some issues if the etc/hosts file either
> does not contain an entry with the system's name, or if this entry has
> a wrong/inactive IP address.

Well, I'd say Java or in fact, the whole TCP/IP stack is stuck when it's
misconfigured. Apache Geronimo acts as a client of *your* network and
its configuration. Misconfigured environment makes Geronimo development
quite harded, but believe me, it has nothing to do with Geronimo, actually.

> I thought that this might be of interest to the dev-list. I think that
> if Geronimo fails to start and hangs at 32% there sould be at least a
> message which indicates a reason for this behaviour - otherwise
> first-time users are left in the dark :-) .

Absolutely valid. I don't know what exactly makes it hung. Reported an
issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-979

> Stefan Schmidt

Jacek