Posted to cli-dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug Dixon <do...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/16 00:36:00 UTC

Intro to mod_aspdotnet

Hi

alerted to the existence of mod_aspdotnet by some posts from Bill
(thanks).

Sounds interesting and potentially very cool.

I know a fair bit about Apache, but not about ASP.NET. I think it
would be great if your intro page (http://httpd.apache.org/cli/
introduction) had a persuasive 'Motivation' or 'Why use
mod_aspdotnet?' section which explained to the uninitiated:

    * The initial motivation for the project
    * Why you would want to house ASP.NET apps in Apache rather than
IIS (or maybe the other way round depending on circumstances)
    * Examples of stuff you can/can't do in each of these two containers
    * Other considerations (e.g. performance, manageability,
licensing or other costs) with each of these alternatives -
especially any perf stats you have

I for one would find it really helpful if this kind of material were
on show up-front, as it would set the context and give a really good
insight into what it is, and why I might be interested in using it.

What do you reckon?

Thanks
Doug

Re: Intro to mod_aspdotnet

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Doug Dixon wrote:
> Hi

> alerted to the existence of mod_aspdotnet by some posts from Bill
> (thanks).
>
> Sounds interesting and potentially very cool.
>
> I know a fair bit about Apache, but not about ASP.NET. I think it  would
> be great if your intro page (http://httpd.apache.org/cli/ introduction)
> had a persuasive 'Motivation' or 'Why use  mod_aspdotnet?' section which
> explained to the uninitiated:
>
>    * The initial motivation for the project
>    * Why you would want to house ASP.NET apps in Apache rather than  IIS
> (or maybe the other way round depending on circumstances)
>    * Examples of stuff you can/can't do in each of these two containers
>    * Other considerations (e.g. performance, manageability,  licensing
> or other costs) with each of these alternatives -  especially any perf
> stats you have
>
> I for one would find it really helpful if this kind of material were  on
> show up-front, as it would set the context and give a really good
> insight into what it is, and why I might be interested in using it.
>
> What do you reckon?

I think this is an excellent suggestion; is there anyone who would like to
take a crack at this, based on real-world application of both mod_aspdotnet
within httpd and the typical ASP.NET hosted in IIS?  I'd be happy to update
the page when we come up with some text.

Bill