Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net> on 1998/01/13 07:17:51 UTC

apache 1.2.5 [BUG] http_protocol.c in terminate_header()

Some may remember a while back me bringing to the list a fun bug
where some gifs were failing to load in netscape.  Well, I haven't
had my customer complaining about the failure to load again--but
I just happened to be reading over http_protocol.c tonight and
noticed that the 'fix' supplied for the netscape 4 "workaround" in
terminate_header did not appear in apache 1.2.5.  This is more-or-less
an important fix since it prevents apache 1.2.5 from being able to
serve certain documents that fall on those boundary lines.

Here is a patch showing the difference between 1.2.5 and my 'patched'
1.2.4.

*** http_protocol.c     Fri Aug 15 12:08:51 1997
--- ../../apache_1.2.4/src/http_protocol.c      Wed Dec 17 10:47:07 1997
***************
*** 1091,1097 ****
      long int bs;

      bgetopt(client, BO_BYTECT, &bs);
!     if (bs == 256 || bs == 257)
          bputs("X-Pad: avoid browser bug\015\012", client);

      bputs("\015\012", client);    /* Send the terminating empty line */
--- 1091,1097 ----
      long int bs;

      bgetopt(client, BO_BYTECT, &bs);
!     if (bs >= 255 && bs <= 257)

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

<tnet admin> anyway, I'm off, perl code is making me [a] crosseyed toady

Re: apache 1.2.5 [BUG] http_protocol.c in terminate_header()

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Michael Douglass wrote:

> Some may remember a while back me bringing to the list a fun bug
> where some gifs were failing to load in netscape.  Well, I haven't
> had my customer complaining about the failure to load again--but
> I just happened to be reading over http_protocol.c tonight and
> noticed that the 'fix' supplied for the netscape 4 "workaround" in
> terminate_header did not appear in apache 1.2.5.  This is more-or-less
> an important fix since it prevents apache 1.2.5 from being able to
> serve certain documents that fall on those boundary lines.

Yup we didn't include a lot of things in 1.2.5 deliberately because we
wanted to be sure to get the security stuff out as fast as possible.  I've
been meaning to add this one to the 1.2 STATUS.  I'll add it now, we've
already fixed it in 1.3.  Thanks for the reminder.

Dean