Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/13 00:53:53 UTC

mvn site not generating correct link to child modules?

Hi all.  I'm trying out the site generation functionality of maven.  I
have a parent project which contains 2 child projects.  So, my parent
POM looks like

    <modules>
        <module>child1</module>
    	<module>child2</module>
    </modules>

The child projects are in a subdirectory of the parent project.  So
the file directory look like

parentProject
parentProject/child1
parentProject/child2

So, each project will use it's own target directory.  When I run mvn
site, I see the generated html in the following directories:

parentProject/target/site
parentProject/child1/target/site
parentProject/child2/target/site

So, each directory has valid HTML in it.

When I look in the HTML for the parent project, I can see the the
correct list of modules, but when I click on it, the URL is incorrect.
 The URL it's using is

file:///I:/parentProject-src/trunk/parentProject/target/site/child1/index.html

where I would've expected

file:///I:/parentProject-src/trunk/parentProject/child1/target/site/index.html

I've generated the doco, but I haven't deployed it into a server
environment (I'm just reading it in my development environment).  Will
this be corrected when the doco is deployed?  Is there a way I can
deploy it to another directory on my environment (instead of to a
server) so I can check what the final doco looks like?

Thanks for any help,
Ed

Re: mvn site not generating correct link to child modules?

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 13, 2008 10:51 AM, Edelson, Justin <Ju...@mtvstaff.com> wrote:
> I think you want the site:stage goal: http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/stage-mojo.html
>
> Justin

OK, I've renamed all my projects, so they don't contain spaces.  So it
completes.  But the links are still incorrect.

So, I've staged out the site HTML files. I can see them generated correctly...

stageDir/parentProject/
stageDir/parentProject/Child1
stageDir/parentProject/Child2

and, looking at each index.html file for each project, they all look
fine.  However, in the parentProject/index.html, where it links the
modules, the href values are wrong.

For example, the href link should be

file://stageDir/parentProject/Child1/index.html

Instead, it is

file://stageDir/<the path to the source files of child1>

So, the href that is generated is completely wrong.  Is there any way
to direct what links to use in the modules menu?  Or should I just do
it myself and be done with it?

Thanks,

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.
I still can't get it to work (using site:run), but I noticed something
odd.  When the files are staged, the Name of the child Project is used
as the name of the subfolder.  So, after running site:stage, I can see

/parentDirectory/<name of child project>

When I say name, I mean the value in the child project's POM in the
<name> element.  I got some errors when the name contained spaces
(mvn:stage couldn't copy files because it could handle a target
directory with a space in it).

However, the url assigned the menu's href uses the artifactId.  So, it
looks like "<artifactId>/index.html"

Shouldn't this be made consistent?  Shouldn't the folder be named
using the artifactId?  If they have to be the same, why do we need the
name in the POM?  Is this why it can't find it?

Re: mvn site not generating correct link to child modules?

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.
> I think you want the site:stage goal: http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/stage-mojo.html
>
> Justin

Thanks for the help, Justin.  I've tried running mvn site:stage, and
it fails with the error

Embedded error: Error rendering Maven report: Exit code: 1 - /bin/sh:
/u01/ct/acct/ehillman/webgui-src/trunk/webgui/pe_objectmanager/target/staging/WebGUI:
does not exist

The directory in question is "WebGUI Projects".  It has a space in it.
 Do I have to rename everything so it doesn't have spaces?

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.