Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "R.Smits" <R....@tudelft.nl> on 2008/02/28 13:48:39 UTC

RCVD_IN_PBL and webmail

Hello,

We have a problem that is very annoying. Let me explain it.

Our organisation is using spamassassin with the check for RCVD_IN_PBL.
Now if one of our users is using webmail (exchange) and sends an email
outside the organisation, it gets points for this. (If their provider is
on the PBL)

Internally we don't check spam :
amavisd.conf
--------
$policy_bank{'MYNETS'} = {
 bypass_spam_checks_maps => [[qw( .domain.nl .domain.net )]],
 final_spam_destiny => D_BOUNCE,
 virus_admin_maps => ['helpdesk@domain.nl'],
};
--------

But as you can see, it get bounced if it gets to many points.

How can we prevent this ?
The first IP number from the user is in the header of the mail.

Currently we use the XBL-SBL as postfix smtp block :

smtpd_client_restrictions =
        reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

What would happen if we put the PBL also in this list.
The email is already in our network, so strange things will hapen ?? :-)

Greetings, and thanks for any help..

Richard Smits
TU-Delft

Re: RCVD_IN_PBL and webmail

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 28/02/2008 7:48 AM, R.Smits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a problem that is very annoying. Let me explain it.
>
> Our organisation is using spamassassin with the check for RCVD_IN_PBL.
> Now if one of our users is using webmail (exchange) and sends an email
> outside the organisation, it gets points for this. (If their provider is
> on the PBL)
>
> Internally we don't check spam :
> amavisd.conf
> --------
> $policy_bank{'MYNETS'} = {
>  bypass_spam_checks_maps => [[qw( .domain.nl .domain.net )]],
>  final_spam_destiny => D_BOUNCE,
>  virus_admin_maps => ['helpdesk@domain.nl'],
> };
> --------
>
> But as you can see, it get bounced if it gets to many points.
>
> How can we prevent this ?
> The first IP number from the user is in the header of the mail.

Either don't scan mail from OWA or configure SA to trust your OWA box
(provided that the Exchange server doesn't directly accept any mail from
the outside world).

Daryl