Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Season of Docs <se...@google.com.INVALID> on 2020/07/10 01:33:28 UTC

Season of Docs 2020 Proposal for Apache Flink (AdityaHurkat)

Below is a project proposal from a technical writer (bcc'd) who wants to
work with your organization on a Season of Docs project. Please assess the
proposal and ensure that you have a mentor to work with the technical
writer.

If you want to accept the proposal, please submit the technical writing
project to the Season of Docs program administrators. The project selection
form is at this link: <https://bit.ly/gsod-tw-projectselection>. The form
is also available in the guide for organization administrators
<https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-guide#tech-writer-application-phase>.

The deadline for project selections is July 31, 2020 at 20:00 UTC. For
other program deadlines, please see the full timeline
<https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline> on the Season
of Docs website.

If you have any questions about the program, please email the Season of
Docs team at season-of-docs-support@googlegroups.com.

Best,
The Google Season of Docs team

Title: Restructure the Table API & SQL Documentation Project length:
Standard length (3 months)
Writer information *Name:* AdityaHurkat
*Email:* adityakr.hurkat.min17@iitbhu.ac.in

Writing experience: Experience 1:
*Title:* Writing documentation on IsoplotR application and Map-based
interface for U-Pb database
*Date:* April 2020 - July 2020
writer on a project at UCL. It was an exciting project. It is to support
the research on detrital zircon. Zircon is a very durable mineral, and we
can preserve it in ancient sand deposits for billions of years. The
frequency distribution of zircon ages contains vital information about 4
billion years of Earth evolution. To understand and derive things out from
this data, I developed an application and a map-based layout to visualize
the data better, in terms of digging out some pattern. Also, I wrote the
documentation for both of them.
*Summary:* This project resulted in an excellent start for the research on
detrital Zircon. I am sharing part of the content(which is publicly
available) which I created during the project- Application
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfbpve/isoplotr/
Map-based <https://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfbpve/isoplotr/Map-based> interface
https://github.com/AdityaHurkat/ZirconDatabase/blob/master/documentation%20for%20the%20link%20map.pdf

*Additional information:* Developing the software and writing documentation
for it is a fantastic experience. And it becomes a lot easier when the
person writing the documentation has programming experience. I worked as a
software developer cum technical writer intern at LASTEC, DRDO last
summers. The project assigned to our team was to develop a system to
automate the inventory at DRDO. We had to build it from scratch because
there were many restrictions regarding the resources we could use (i.e.
they don’t allow any kind of external software into their systems). And
writing its documentation was not that simple. Because it is a government
organization and there are clauses to be included in every part of the
document (regarding the resources it will use when running on their
servers, and writing all the security clauses is mandatory). It was a great
experience. I have been working for the last two months at Apnapay (a firm
that works on digital payment solutions and on software for solving complex
business issues). I along with my team, have worked on two projects: i)
Digitalizing the platform ticketing system at Indian Railways ii)
Developing an attendance system which authenticates through IRIS The
documentation for this project is in the final stage and will be complete
by next week. Recently I worked as a software developer cum technical
writer on a project at UCL. It was an exciting project. It also involves an
open-source software IsoplotR. I have a habit of writing my experiences in
a diary since I was a child (but no would ever share something so
personal). As I grew up, I developed an interest in technology, and this
made me study at IIT-BHU. So, I am a tech enthusiast and a passionate
writer. I have always admired the work of the open-source community. And
now GSOD gives me the golden opportunity to contribute.
Project Description I absolutely agree that lowering entry barrier to Flink
for non-programmatic users is necessary. This can be done if we put links
for the details rather than writing it down in the Overview.
I read the FLINK-60, this is a precisely planned proposal and I think it is
great way to start. If I am going to do this, I would do one more change in
the basic style of documentation-
There can be fewer things on a single page i.e. Query a Table and
Integration with DataStream and DataSet API on different pages unlike the
current documentation. This will also make the available features more
easily discoverable.
Improving the flow and logical correlation of topics is the most important
task because, it will improvise the understanding of Flink to users.
Following the FLINK-60 proposal I will be able to complete this. And I
could also work on extending the Table API & SQL Documentation.
This restructuring will make life a lot easier for new users. {{EXTRA16}}
{{EXTRA17}}