Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "W.P. McNeill" <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/04 23:22:06 UTC

Re: How do I diagnose IO bounded errors using the framework counters?

Here's an even more basic question. I tried to figure out what
the FILE_BYTES_READ means by searching every file in the hadoop 0.20.203.0
installation for the string FILE_BYTES_READ installation by running

      find . -type f | xargs grep FILE_BYTES_READ

I only found this string in source files in vaidya contributor directory and
the tools/rumen directories. Nothing in the main source base.

Where in the source code are these counters created and updated?

Re: How do I diagnose IO bounded errors using the framework counters?

Posted by John Meagher <jo...@gmail.com>.
The counter names are created dynamically in mapred.Task

  /**
   * Counters to measure the usage of the different file systems.
   * Always return the String array with two elements. First one is
the name of
   * BYTES_READ counter and second one is of the BYTES_WRITTEN counter.
   */
  protected static String[] getFileSystemCounterNames(String uriScheme) {
    String scheme = uriScheme.toUpperCase();
    return new String[]{scheme+"_BYTES_READ", scheme+"_BYTES_WRITTEN"};
  }