Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/25 06:26:15 UTC

Maven core plugins: 2.0.x vs 3.0.x?

I'm investigate maven-artifact and I checked out:
  maven/artifact

Having only worked on plugins, it took me a moment to realise I needed
to build a local dev copy of maven 2.0.x to get my changes to
maven-artifact in.

Following http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-building-m2.html
I checked out
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/branches/maven-2.0.x
which also contains maven-artifact.

At which point I got confused.

Is maven/artifact for 3.0.x?
If so, should I be making my changes in the
maven/components/branches/maven-2.0.x/maven-artifact instead?
If so, how are we managing changes from 2.0.x to 3.0.x?

Enlightenment appreciated.

Barrie
--
Before enlightenment: chop wood, draw water.
After enlightenment: chop wood, draw water.

Re: Maven core plugins: 2.0.x vs 3.0.x?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> If so, how are we managing changes from 2.0.x to 3.0.x?
>
> Write integration tests to guarantee they still work. It appears that
> artifact will just be wholesale replaced.

Saved!

maven 2.0.10 already shows me to the dependency trail of the failed
OverContrainedVersionException so I can find what to munge in
dependencyManagement > exclusions.

Re: Maven core plugins: 2.0.x vs 3.0.x?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 25/10/2008, at 12:26 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> I'm investigate maven-artifact and I checked out:
>  maven/artifact
>
> Having only worked on plugins, it took me a moment to realise I needed
> to build a local dev copy of maven 2.0.x to get my changes to
> maven-artifact in.
>
> Following http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-building-m2.html
> I checked out
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/branches/
> maven-2.0.x
> which also contains maven-artifact.
>
> At which point I got confused.
>
> Is maven/artifact for 3.0.x?

I think it is going to be moved back into trunk.

> If so, should I be making my changes in the
> maven/components/branches/maven-2.0.x/maven-artifact instead?

Yep.

> If so, how are we managing changes from 2.0.x to 3.0.x?

Write integration tests to guarantee they still work. It appears that
artifact will just be wholesale replaced.

> Enlightenment appreciated.
>
> Barrie
> --
> Before enlightenment: chop wood, draw water.
> After enlightenment: chop wood, draw water.

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/