Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/02/11 17:37:17 UTC

Re: browser negotiation

One problem I have with the single file approach is the following:

It seems that generally the priority for an HTML project can justifiably
be done using Netscapisms on the first cut. Subsequent work to support
other browser types could follow and could simply be added by adding
additional files instead of hacking the netscape files and possible
adding problems. Changes in a separate set of files would be unlikely
to effect the others.

This approach is also more extensible if the browser market further
fragments itself. It would not require changes in the server code
to the parsing routines.

Comments?

Re: browser negotiation

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> One problem I have with the single file approach is the following:
>
> It seems that generally the priority for an HTML project can justifiably
> be done using Netscapisms on the first cut. Subsequent work to support
> other browser types could follow and could simply be added by adding
> additional files instead of hacking the netscape files and possible
> adding problems. Changes in a separate set of files would be unlikely
> to effect the others.
>
> This approach is also more extensible if the browser market further
> fragments itself. It would not require changes in the server code
> to the parsing routines.

Unfortunately in practice (as a shop that has built a couple large sites
with two versions of every HTML page, one for netscape and one for
others) it's much nicer to be able to make changes in only one file than
in two separate files, when that change affects both versions.  It also
disallows fine grained negotiation - MSIE can do tables but not
server-push, for example.  So, make on document which switches between
functions instead of switching on user-agent field, and your documents
have a slightly longer lifespan.

	Brian