Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/11/10 19:54:12 UTC

tables

Just something to throw out to the sharks.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that <table>s are banned from the httpd
docs.  I guess this is not surprising since some of the docs were written
back in a time where table support in browsers could not be counted on.  The
result is some ugly monstrosities like the listing of % directives in
mod_log_config.html.

I suggest we do away with this rule and use <table>s where appropriate.  (I
just committed one to mod_headers.html.)  There are still people using
browsers like lynx that do not handle tables, but if we use tables
intelligently, those people should still be able to use the docs.

Any opinions?

Joshua.

> Just something to throw out to the sharks.
>
> There seems to be an unwritten rule that <table>s are banned from the httpd
> docs.  I guess this is not surprising since some of the docs were written
> back in a time where table support in browsers could not be counted on.  The
> result is some ugly monstrosities like the listing of % directives in
> mod_log_config.html.
>
> I suggest we do away with this rule and use <table>s where appropriate.  (I
> just committed one to mod_headers.html.)  There are still people using
> browsers like lynx that do not handle tables, but if we use tables
> intelligently, those people should still be able to use the docs.

Huh?  I believe lynx has handled tables for some time now.

But absolutely, tables are worthwhile, let's just not go overboard and hose
the rendering time.  In other words;

  lists for lists

  tables for multicolumn data

And not go overboard on enties for table tags when CSS should be used instead.

Bill

Re: tables

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> There seems to be an unwritten rule that <table>s are banned
> from the httpd docs.  I guess this is not surprising since some
> of the docs were written back in a time where table support in
> browsers could not be counted on.  The result is some ugly
> monstrosities like the listing of % directives in
> mod_log_config.html.

True, to a point  If text-only clients can now all reliably
handle tables, cool.  But if they still look like crap,
then I'm opposed to changing them -- because someone setting
up a server doesn't necessarily have network access nor a
running server yet. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: tables

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Just something to throw out to the sharks.
>
> There seems to be an unwritten rule that <table>s are banned from the httpd
> docs.  I guess this is not surprising since some of the docs were written
> back in a time where table support in browsers could not be counted on.  The
> result is some ugly monstrosities like the listing of % directives in
> mod_log_config.html.
>
> I suggest we do away with this rule and use <table>s where appropriate.  (I
> just committed one to mod_headers.html.)  There are still people using
> browsers like lynx that do not handle tables, but if we use tables
> intelligently, those people should still be able to use the docs.
>
> Any opinions?

mod_rewrite uses tables extensively, and I have not heard any
complaints. (I have some *other* complaints about the mod_rewrite docs,
but I don't have time for that right now.)

Lynx handles tables just fine, and w3m, another console browser, handles
them perfectly, and is gaining popularity. In fact, it's what I use
almost exclusively.

Tables have been in HTML for a heck of a long time, and I don't see any
particular reason to eschew them any longer. I would vote for using them
where appropriate, but not going overboard and using them where they are
not really necessary. And we hope that most of us have the good sense to
be able to tell the difference.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://geeks.cre8tivegroup.com/  --- Work