Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Roger Whitcomb <rw...@apache.org> on 2016/02/22 19:40:45 UTC

Willing to help with PMC

Hi all,
     I was reading through some of the message on the "board@" mailing
list related to what's happening with Synapse, and I offered (there) my
help to keep the PMC going.  Andreas saw that posting and suggested I
post the message here as well.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb
Apache Pivot PMC Chair
rwhitcomb at apache.org

Re: Willing to help with PMC

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <rw...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,
     Thank you for the good question.  I want to give you an equally
good response.  So, I will have a detailed answer for you tomorrow. I do
have a lot to say, but work has been crazy busy this week (which is a
partial answer to your question) so i don't have time to write more
right at the moment.  But I will...

Thanks,
~Roger

Re: Willing to help with PMC

Posted by Isuru Udana <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your interest in helping to continue the project.
I can also help you with doing code fixes. But I won't be able to a drive a
release at this moment.

Thanks.

*Isuru Udana*
Associate Technical Lead

*; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com <http://wso2.com>email: isudana@gmail.com
<is...@gmail.com> blog: http://mytecheye.blogspot.com/
<http://mytecheye.blogspot.com/>*

Re: Willing to help with PMC

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Willing to help with PMC

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <rw...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,
     So, let me see if I can give you some good feedback to answer your
question.

1. Since I'm not familiar with the Synapse code, I wouldn't be much help
with any code changes that might be needed.
2. If the main problems are associated with ASF procedures, I can
certainly facilitate communication about that, although I've not been
doing releases myself even in the Pivot PMC, so doing more than that
would require some work on my part, but which I'm willing to do.
3. But, the main thrust of my wanting to help would be along
administrative lines:  trying to elicit what the pain points are, trying
to pull together the PMC to get done what needs to be done as far as a
release, and then (if required) helping move through a discussion about
the Attic, if that is what the PMC decides to do.

     Basically, I want to facilitate communication if I can.  And for

Re: Willing to help with PMC

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
> On Feb 23, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How much effort would you be willing to put into this? To stay alive
> this project needs to make progress towards a release. I think that
> the code itself is in a releasable state, and with the release of
> Axis2 and Rampart 1.7.0 there are no more snapshot dependencies. On
> the other hand, the release process probably needs some updates to
> conform to how releases are expected to be done at the ASF nowadays
> (site publication via pubsub and Maven artifact staging via Nexus).
> There is also the fact that the previous release was done from a
> branch; the question is whether all the documentation updates and
> improvements of the release system have been applied to the trunk as
> well.

To the best of my knowledge, trunk is in sync with the 2.1 release branch. We cut that branch very late in the release cycle.

Thanks,
Hiranya

> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Roger Whitcomb <rw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I was reading through some of the message on the "board@" mailing list
>> related to what's happening with Synapse, and I offered (there) my help to
>> keep the PMC going.  Andreas saw that posting and suggested I post the
>> message here as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~Roger Whitcomb
>> Apache Pivot PMC Chair