Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joe Niederberger <jn...@comcast.net> on 2009/12/20 15:40:32 UTC

modperl / apache13 memory footprints on 32 adn 64 bit servers

Hello,

I'm in process of moving a mod_perl/apache1.3 application from
32bit to 64bit architectures. I am not a sysadmin, but rather the app
programmer.

But I'm surprised by the dramatic leap in httpd process sizes. Here are
"typical" SIZE/RES figures:

32bit:  SIZE=45M   RES=32M
64bit:  SIZE=95M   RES=45M

Do these look reasonable? Should I worry?

Thanks to all who answer - your experience and expertise make mod_perl
a vital force.

Joe Niederberger

Re: Mod-Perl techincal support - looking for consultant

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
>> I apologize if this is not the right forum for this - but we need
>> to find an hourly consultant with mod_perl and apache expertise,
>> and hopefully some FreeBSD experience as well.

What exactly are you looking for I should be able to help.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: Mod-Perl techincal support - looking for consultant

Posted by Joe Niederberger <jn...@comcast.net>.
Some details:

Business based in New Jersey (not so relevant)
Hoster: Datapipe
OS: FreeBSD 7.2 release p4
Arch - amd64-freebsd
Perl 5.8.9
Apache/mod-perl 1.3

Basic problem is Datapipe support has little experience with mod_perl.

Re: modperl / apache13 memory footprints on 32 adn 64 bit servers

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joe Niederberger wrote:
> Does anyone know if one can have 64bit perl use 64 bit addressing (to make
> use of >4GB RAM) but still use 32-bit INTs etc (to keep footprint from
> getting
> large)?

This is the default on windows x64.

Re: modperl / apache13 memory footprints on 32 adn 64 bit servers

Posted by Joe Niederberger <jn...@comcast.net>.
I should add - if anyone can answer this question - would it be a good idea
to do
so even if possible?

Thanks,
Joe Niederberger

Posted by Joe Niederberger <jn...@comcast.net>.
Well, some poking aronud by the sysadmins and they found teh perl
was compiled with

> MYMALLOC PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_64_BIT_INT USE_FAST_STDIO
> USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO

So it was using 64 bit variables for INT and maybe some other uneeded
things.
So that might be a big part of it.

Joe N.

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.