Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Strubinski,Waldemar W" <Wa...@kp.org> on 2001/05/24 22:46:19 UTC

Slow session creating Tomcat 3.2.1

> I've noticed that Tomcat  3.2.1  takes a long time to create
> a session for the first time.
>
> I think it only takes  a long time the very first time it's asked to
> create
> a session (when the first person logs in after restarting Tomcat).

Do you have any suggestions how to fix it or where I
> can find any documentation on  that?

 Thanks,
Waldemar

RE: Slow session creating Tomcat 3.2.1

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <mv...@mvdb.com>.
As far as I know it is because tomcat needs to init classes on first use.

Mvgr,
Martin van den Bemt

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
The initialization of Tomcat's Psuedo Random Number Generator (PRNG) can
take several seconds on some platforms.  The PRNG is initialized when the
first session is created (its used to generate the session IDs).  There are
some hacks you can use in 3.2.1 to avoid this, but the best solution will be
to upgrade to Tomcat 3.2.2 which should be released shortly.  The PRNG
initialization is fast enough in this release to not be noticable.