Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "satya.for.u@gmail.com" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/23 18:28:15 UTC

I tried to learn hbase from apache site and Hbase in action. But i am not able to get clarity on hbase. could you please suggest me best way to learn hbase.

I did my hadoop, habse and zookeeper  configuration with help of  apeche
documents. now i stared learning hbase but i seen lot of java code(psudo
code, like put, get,delete ) on these documents but i do not know where i
need to use these code. i tried to run the same code in hbase shell but it
does not work. could you please suggest me one best way to learn hbase.

Re: I tried to learn hbase from apache site and Hbase in action. But i am not able to get clarity on hbase. could you please suggest me best way to learn hbase.

Posted by Dima Spivak <ds...@cloudera.com>.
Dear Satya,

Copying and pasting the Java into the hbase shell won't work since it uses
a unique syntax based on JRuby.

If you want to run the code you see in Java, the easiest way to do it is to
use an IDE like IntelliJ. Create a Maven project with a pom.xml file and
include the hbase-client as a dependency. Then create a class with code
that you want to run and IntelliJ will help with the necessary imports.
Finally, use Maven to compile and run your classes. As an easier
alternative, HBase in Action as well as Lars Georges' HBase: The Definitive
Guide both include all the necessary dependencies as downloads to make it
easy to run the example code, so maybe give that a shot if you haven't
played with Maven in the past.

All the best,
   Dima

Posted by john guthrie <gr...@gmail.com>.
when you say "from apache site" do you mean you read the reference
document? if not, that's what i'd do, it's really very good

john

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.