Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John David Duncan <jd...@mysql.com> on 2007/03/12 21:10:49 UTC

how to fix my repo?

Hi,

When I first started using subversion, I was not clear about the
concept of the "repository."

I should have created two repositories -- one for project1 and
another for project2.  But instead, I have a single repository, and
project1 and project2 exist inside it as top-level branches.

This all happened a little over a year ago, so I've been working like
this for a few hundred revisions.

Is there a way for me to clean this up?  I'd be glad to dump,
restore, or do whatever it takes to get to a normal configuration.

Thanks,

JD

Re: how to fix my repo?

Posted by John David Duncan <jd...@mysql.com>.

> You can dump, filter and load to get the subset corresponding to
> one project, then filter again and load again to get the subset
> corresponding to the other project.  See svndumpfilter.

Thanks! There's actually a good description of just what I want to do
in the Subversion book... (I just didn't find it until I updated my
copy of the book to one new enough to mention svndumpfilter)

JD

Re: how to fix my repo?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 3/12/2007 5:10 PM, John David Duncan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I first started using subversion, I was not clear about the
> concept of the "repository."
>
> I should have created two repositories -- one for project1 and
> another for project2.  But instead, I have a single repository, and
> project1 and project2 exist inside it as top-level branches.
>
> This all happened a little over a year ago, so I've been working like
> this for a few hundred revisions.
>
> Is there a way for me to clean this up?  I'd be glad to dump,
> restore, or do whatever it takes to get to a normal configuration.

You can dump, filter and load to get the subset corresponding to one
project, then filter again and load again to get the subset
corresponding to the other project.  See svndumpfilter.  However, some
things might break:  do you have any externals pointing into the current
repository?  They'll need to be updated when it goes away.  Do you have
comments referring to specific revision numbers?  Make sure you retain
the old numbers when you filter and reload.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: how to fix my repo?

Posted by John David Duncan <jd...@mysql.com>.
>> Is there a way for me to clean this up?  I'd be glad to dump,
>> restore, or do whatever it takes to get to a normal configuration.
>
> There's nothing inherently "wrong" with keeping 2 projects in one
> repository. If it's been working well for you for over a year, why do
> you feel the need to split the projects?

If I start a third project, it will begin at revision 200-something.
That's OK but it's not very informative.

If I want to move one project (but not the other) to a different
server, I wouldn't really know how to do that.

Or if I wanted to use svnsync, but only with one project -- not the
whole repository -- it doesn't seem like that's an option, either.

So these things make it seem like one repository per project is the
best practice.

JD

Re: how to fix my repo?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.