Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/11/27 20:02:17 UTC

housekeeping - uima website docs/

The docs/ in the uima website has a large amount of folders/files from older
releases.

I'm thinking of moving these to another svn project under
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima, say
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/website-archive

This could be done using the svn move style - so no "space" for the data would
be consumed.

The advantage: svn operations on the uima-website would proceed faster because
there would be many less files to check.

----------------

Alternative: do an svn delete of the older folders/files in docs/.  This is
more-or-less the same as above, except it becomes more difficult to find the
older files (you have to go thru history, etc).

----------------

Opinions? I'm leaning toward an explicit website-archive "project".

-Marshall

Re: housekeeping - uima website docs/

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The apache docs on httpd for htaccess
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html seem to suggest using
these is a bad idea.  The response I got from infra also seems to suggest I can
just post a "pull" request against a github thing.  Here's part of what they said:

Sure thing!  If you take a look at our Puppet config for the
webservers: https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet/blob/deployment/data/nodes/themis.apache.org.yaml#L453
and https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet/blob/deployment/data/nodes/tlp-eu-west.apache.org.yaml
, one example is how we are redirectingmod_* docs for HTTPD to their
site.  Feel free to make a PR against both those .yaml files if you
are comfortable otherwise let us know in a JIRA ticket what you'd like
done and we can do it

So, I'm guessing they want to manage these this way...

I'll wait a day or 2 to see if there's any other comments about this, and then
if no objections, I'll create the svn copies and ask they do the redirects.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
One can put a forwarding pointer that automatically redirects particular pages.
This might not be feasible for things like old javadocs - which have a very
large number of pages...

Is there a technique that can redirect a set of web url addresses starting with
a common prefix?

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
I have no strong opinion on this.

Just a guess: how likely will someone need the history of the old docs?
I assume code changes are more relevant.

Peter