Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bradley Belyeu <br...@life.church> on 2016/08/23 14:38:49 UTC

Language support

Hi, I’m trying to find a synonym list for any of the following languages:
Catalan, Farsi, Hindi, Korean, Latvian, Dutch, Romanian, Thai, and Turkish
Does anyone know of resources where I can get a synonym list for these languages?

Re: Language support

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Synonyms are also domain specific. A synonym set for one area may be completely wrong in another.

In cooking, arugula and rocket are the same thing. In military or aerospace, missile and rocket are very similar.

I would start with librarians. They maintain controlled vocabularies (called “thesauri”). Usually, a thesaurus has the official classification terms but also has “entry terms”. The entry terms are alternate terms that are used to get to the primary term.

For example, the category might be “electric vehicle”, but an entry term could be “zero emission vehicle”.

Good luck. I had a hard time finding thesauri on line a few years ago.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org