Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Da...@kp.org on 2002/11/02 01:39:31 UTC

Re: Axis performance, additional info

I converted another Apache SOAP 2.3.1 web service and test client to Axis
1.0. This service retrieves about 75 records worth of data, versus the
service mentioned below which returns about 5 records worth of data.

This second test seems to be more evenly matched, SOAP averaged 2556
milliseconds per call versus 4850 milliseconds for Axis. That's about
1.89% longer for Axis in this case. It seems the larger data set is
leveling the playing field a bit.

- David

Jesse,

I've noticed the speed claims as well, but my experience tells me
otherwise. I'm not aware of any benchmarks.

I haven't modified any of the logging defaults, so I believe it's set to
INFO now. You are referring to logging output and the log4j.properties in
the axis.jar, are you not?

My test did not include any time for console output, it was just the time
to put the call together, execute it, and get the response back. By the
way, I'm doing RPC style calls.

I'd welcome any other suggestions for things to check. Or pointers to
tests that others have done.

Thanks,
-David

Hi David,

I've noticed that the Axis website claims speed gains over ApacheSOAP,
but I've never really seen any evidence to back this up.  I'd be really
curious to know what kinds of benchmarks have been done comparing the
performance of the two products.

I will ask, though, whether or not debugging output could have been an
issue in your scenario.  I don't know exactly how you are using the
product, but I know that initially we had the output set to DEBUG mode
for our entire application (which included Axis) and this cost us a lot
in terms of performance.  Moving Axis to the INFO level sped things up
dramatically.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts.
--
Jess Sightler

Re: Axis performance, additional info

Posted by Martin Jericho <ma...@jabmail.com>.
I did some tests just with axis a while ago, and found that its performance deteriorates dramatically as the message size gets larger.  I posted my results in this mailing list under the subject "Performance problems with RPC messages over 20k", but I don't think anyone has looked into it.